Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

March 17 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 03-17-2012, 01:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

March 17 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

There was once an Al-Anon group that never had more than nine members, although there were four AA groups within a couple of miles!

All but three of the nine – the three who had started the group – changed very often. When they dropped out, the old-timers would shrug and say, “What can you do? They just don’t realize how Al-Anon could help them.”

At meetings, there were usually plenty of horror stories about what the alcoholics said and did, and detailed descriptions of sufferings. It was all quite exciting, but nothing much happened to make the newcomers aware of the Al-Anon program and how they could apply it. Nobody kept in touch between meetings, excepting, of course, the three old-timers.

Al-Anon is a program of SELF-improvement. It is nourished by the friendship and concern of all the members for each other and from discussion, in depth, of Al-Anon principles in the Twelve Steps, the Twelve Traditions and the slogans.

“If my life is in chaos, I will look into myself for the cause and cure and use the Twelve Steps to improve my shortcomings. If our group is not a living, functioning unit, we will look for the cause and cure in our Twelve Traditions.”