SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Hiding cookies, LOL?! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/251647-hiding-cookies-lol.html)

lizatola 03-16-2012 03:36 PM

Hiding cookies, LOL?!

My AH stopped the booze(as far as I know) after he got his DUI a month ago. He is now putting packages of cookies in weird places. He's got a package of some mint chocolate things in his closet on the shelf and another package of vanilla cream cookies over when he keeps his asthma meds in the section of the cabinet where I keep meds, band aids, etc. OK, is this weird? He refers to them as 'my cookies' and yes, he offers them to us if he takes them out when we're around but I find it weird that he has special places for cookies. I don't even eat cookies anyway and our 13 year old is very respectful. If you tell him not to touch the cookies, he wouldn't.

He also seems to be going up and down lately with his mood. Of course, so do I. I have moments where I want to make the effort to forgive and move on and exemplify a changed heart and then I have moments where I get angry and frustrated and I fall back into negative thinking. Al Anon meetings have helped me greatly, though, and I'm so grateful for this message board, too!

Magichappens 03-16-2012 03:49 PM

I am not surprised by much bizarre behavior any more. Alcoholics are strange birds, drunk or sober. The chuckle factor is high for this one! At least its not an annoying behavior. Strange but not annoying. Magic

justrae83 03-16-2012 04:19 PM

Maybe he was hiding alkie for so long, the urge to hide things that he hold dear to his heart need to be 'HIDDEN" LOL No clue.

lizatola 03-16-2012 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by justrae83 (Post 3323047)
Maybe he was hiding alkie for so long, the urge to hide things that he hold dear to his heart need to be 'HIDDEN" LOL No clue.

Yep, no clue for me too, LOL! Hey, at least it's cookies and not beer!

mayalewiston 03-17-2012 04:34 PM

Thank you for posting this! After leaving AH on Monday, this has been the worst week of my life and I definitely needed that laugh... Unfortunately, seemed like something I could see my AH doing!

fourmaggie 03-17-2012 05:59 PM

just another compulsion....an irresistible impulse....HABIT

BuffaloGal 03-17-2012 06:09 PM

Uhh, a couple of months back I found a box of cookies that I'd put in a drawer about a year ago with some pots and pans and then forgotten. In my defense, my 12 year old loves cookies and will scarf them down as fast as she finds them if I don't hide them. Besides, I can stop anytime I want.

Pelican 03-17-2012 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by anvilhead (Post 3323018)
hidey hole

:lmao
Oh my,
That is sooooo much funnier when we aren't talking about hiding booze!

TakingCharge999 03-18-2012 12:55 AM

Weird... well, liza at least it sounds like a good diet plan, to have someone hide the cookies and pastries so you can never eat them, lol

maya Iam sorry to hear this has been the worst week of your life :( for me it has not been the worst but its a close runner-up. May you find some peace during the weekend, hugs!

SoaringSpirits 03-18-2012 11:03 AM

Are they store bought?

My AH was hiding baked goods as well. Finally I took a long hard look at them. Those rice crispie treats were from the local medical marijuana dispensary!

m1k3 03-18-2012 11:41 AM

Soaring, I was just getting on to post something similar. I think he is crazy like a fox. By hiding cookies all over he is lulling you into not paying attention to what he is getting. He has a snort or 2 of vodka, grabs a couple of cookies and the world is right from his point of view. It even helps cover the smell on his breadth.

This may not be as LOLZ as you think.

Your friend,

choublak 03-18-2012 02:38 PM

I would be concerned about the hidden cookies attracting bugs/rodents. Oh, and I take it you don't have dogs nor cats in your house? They would definitely be the first to find them, eat them, maybe throw up on the rug, etc.

lizatola 03-18-2012 06:03 PM

Well, as far as I can tell he's not drinking anymore. I have a terrific nose although I guess vodka isn't as detectible. His drinks of choice were beer and Irish whiskey but I do remember him hiding vodka bottles, too, a while back.

He's got a pre trial conference tomorrow with the prosecuting attorney and his attorney. I seriously hope he's not drinking. The DUI stuff is just getting started!

choublak 03-18-2012 07:19 PM

I hope he's not drinking. For his own sake. Drinking after a DUI just makes everything worse and worse...

wicked 03-18-2012 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by BuffaloGal (Post 3324419)
Uhh, a couple of months back I found a box of cookies that I'd put in a drawer about a year ago with some pots and pans and then forgotten. In my defense, my 12 year old loves cookies and will scarf them down as fast as she finds them if I don't hide them. Besides, I can stop anytime I want.

That' s what I used to say, until they asked me to share the cookies.
It's sad how they disappeared like that.
:rotfxko

Thumper 03-18-2012 08:45 PM

That is a new one, lol. My xah didn't hide alcohol all that much but he sure had certain 'habits' surrounding alcohol that he didn't change. I have no idea if he has now. I saw it as playing with fire at the time.

Cookies are easy to share. Chocolate not so much. If my kids wake up a few hours after they go to bed they will groggly tell me I smell like chocolate ;)

nodaybut2day 03-19-2012 07:11 AM

My uncle who is now 3 years sober, went on an ice cream binge when he first quit drinking. He hid the stuff outside his house (lives in the country, on a mountain), and in the cold room under the house...went on to gain a nice 35 pounds, but hey, he stayed sober.

tabatha 03-19-2012 08:32 AM

My XABF also went on an ice cream binge after detox. He went through a gallon a day and put on 30 lbs. I don't recall him hiding it though but I guess ice cream would be a hard one to hide. Hiding the cookies is a strange one for sure but then again who knows what goes on in their mind sometimes- sober or drunk.

PurpleWilder 03-19-2012 02:09 PM

LOL for this thread!

And if were talking Girl Scout cookies here, I can totally understand the hiding and sneaking. Those things oughta be banned. But when it is being marketed by cute little wispy haired waifs in little green uniforms, who can say no? <Sigh>

Magichappens 03-25-2012 01:21 AM

Pretty soon you can get him some easter egg cookies and set the kids to finding them. One less task to worry about. Using the idiosyncrasy in your favor!

Krys 03-25-2012 06:58 AM

That is weird but probably has more to do with habit or some kind of OCD. I think a lot of time addiction comes hand in hand with anxiety disorders, OCD etc.