Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Happy "Let's drink till we don't remember anything" weekend!!

Old 03-16-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
And Presents For Pretty Girls

I've never been much for St. Patrick's Day anyways, but ever since being with exAB I absolutely hate the holiday.

Why is it I can't find any enjoyment in drinking that starts at 12:00 in the afternoon and lasts all day long? I don't get it!! Why is this so fun? I mean, I've been drunk before and I've drank too much, of course it probably happens once a year...but to do it on purpose...all the time..and use this as a reason to drink more than usual...I think I'm jaded by the whole thing. He always used to call me a tight-ass because I didn't want to have a beer with every meal, or open a bottle of champagne every night..or drink in the middle of the afternoon.

I'm thankful I don't have to spend this drunken holiday with my exAB but it's amazing how little things from your past with them come up...I can just imagine him drinking too much and being a total ass. Being loud and obnoxious...I cringe at the thought of it. So many times being drunk and out of control...thought he was the life of the party and all I got was humiliated and embarrassed. I don't even want to see people I don't know like this.

It may be over but man the remnants still remain....

Anyone else have any memories to share about drinking holidays?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've never understood it either and generally shun going out on any 'drinking' holiday - St. Patrick's day, Halloween, New Years... It has nothing to do with being with an alcoholic partner, it's just having lived in NYC and seen lots of bad things happen to good people because of stranger's drunkenness.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Totally agree with you 'Itsmylifenow' why would you want to ruin a beautiful day clouding your mind with booze? You feel wretched by early evening, days for me are for productive thoughts and actions and maybe have a drink late on when all else is done and you are winding down.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Strangely enough, that weekend seems to come up about 52 times a year for alcoholics....go figure.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

IMLN I have been trying to process my resentments too, or whatever the heck these are. Traumas maybe?

I have flashbacks too, the trick is what to do with them when they arise. Can you let go of them? When I can't, I have to process it a bit more or get help from others.

You can refocus on your life; take it back. For instance, you might want to do something you absolutely love tomorrow, whatever that means, and laugh at the past while doing so.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to drink a lot when I was younger - the kind of drinking that you describe. But I grew out of it. Some people don't. I was lucky.

That said - its a good weekend to stay home and not in the line of fire for drunk drivers. Stay safe, all!

~T
Old 03-16-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I remember reading something a recovering alcoholic wrote on here about how they stayed home and drank on some holidays because they were "amature nights" lol
Old 03-17-2012, 12:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, seriously! You want to celebrate St. Patrick's Day? Drive some snakes out of the land or something! Geez.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

I so totally agree with you. Since not drinking I can step back and see it all for what it really is, a total waste of life, my husband used to say to me "how you can call that hah ing fun?" it sucks. I love my sober life
Old 03-17-2012, 03:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm planning on avoiding the downtown area of our town. It's a college town and watching a bunch of drunk college kids decked out in green and drinking green beer is not fun in my book. Funny thing, it's my understanding that in Ireland they don't party on this day like we Americans do......
Old 03-17-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hydrogirl View Post
I'm planning on avoiding the downtown area of our town. It's a college town and watching a bunch of drunk college kids decked out in green and drinking green beer is not fun in my book. Funny thing, it's my understanding that in Ireland they don't party on this day like we Americans do......

Yeah they do. I've been to Dublin on St Patricks day and it was one big party.
I'm going out tonight for a few, some dancing and gossiping with my girls. I'm not going out to get wasted to celebreate mainly cause I'm not Irish.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In my case with my XAH...everyday was a holiday. We tried the "I'll just drink on special occasion" scenario which turned into "Well, I lived to see another day, the sun came up, so I should get drunk and celebrate"

Seriously??? SMH
Old 04-09-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I hate it....hate it....would not sign up for it again....the ruined dinners.....vacations, holidays, a waste of life.......felt so sorry for the kids.....and the XAH won't remember the times.....well am grateful I don't have to do it anymore. I do have flashbacks but go right to gratitude I am not in it anymore. My XAH drank pretty much all the time he wasn't asleep or at work, so 365 it was his plan holiday or not.....and the $$$$$$$ !It is sad they can't enjoy a good glass of tea or cranberry juice or sunset or dumb game or tv- has to be party party party ! glad I am out of the "ICK" !
Old 04-09-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I seriously don't miss the endless excuses to drink... being on the boat... hard day at work... visiting family... holidays... super bowl...weekends...when the A neighbour comes over, basically any damn excuse.... I love not having to worry about it anymore! I can now enjoy my leisure time without him ruining it with his weird hyperactivity, and then the drinking and obnoxious behaviour!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
And Presents For Pretty Girls

I just wanted to re-post this thread as my now xbf? On-a-break bf? Who knows what he is...anyways, he can't wait for the St. Patty's Day parade and a chance to drink until he Irish eyes aren't smiling anymore.

Re-reading this reminded me of what it really used to be like with xabf. And, why I despised the whole holiday, drinking for any reason thing.

Thankful I no longer have to be tolerant of that behavior and have it in my life, but it still triggers me.