Results of Liver Biopsy

Old 03-14-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Results of Liver Biopsy

Well folks, we go in at 9:00 to hear the results. He did get paperwork in the mail stating somithing about the immune system with the liver is at a stage 3, and cirrhosis is at stage 4.

You know, even though I have been emotionally detaching from him for over a year, I still care about him as a person, and I am really scared for him. I know this isn't going to be good news.

Anyone know where one can buy a big ass bottle of strength???
Old 03-14-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry you're going through this.
I know how hard it is.
please remeber to take care of yourself.
HUGS
Old 03-14-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear that. I know what you're going through as my husband is pretty much in the same place. The only way I found strength is from God and going to church. It really does help.
Take care of your self and think positive thoughts. I know it's hard but you both need to stay positive.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Sending encouragement as you process the latest information.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Sending you the biggest dose of PINK Strength I have available

Hate so much to hear this ~ prayers of strength, comfort, and guidance for you ~

as it was said above, please remember the best gift you can give to others is a healthy you - so try to take care of you too along this journey!

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 03-14-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sending positive thoughts your way!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck with that.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good Luck to you. Take care of yourself
Old 03-14-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Just remember something. The LIVER is the only organ in the human body that can heal itself.

If he chooses not to drink any more and starts eating healthy you will be surprised at how much his liver will heal.

One of my sponsors other sponsees, got sober before I did. She had 9% liver function left when she got sober. They gave her a maximum life span of another 6 months. She lived almost 16 years.

At 10 years sober I was diagnosed with cirrhosis. Not from my drinking but from all the dang tylenol I took in my early recovery years (arthritis was already acting up from the physical damage I had done my drinking years). My liver was down to 22% liver function when they told me at 20% they would put me on the list for a liver.

As I changed my diet, got rid of most of the red meat in it, which is the hardest protein there is for the liver to break down, and red meat was not good for my joints either. As I continued to eat healthy, I would have it checked periodically and % of function was slowly going up. After I was diagnosed with diabetes and having to meds that can be hard on the liver, they do a liver panel on me every 3 months when they do my blood work for the diabetes. My liver reached 55% about 8 years ago and thats where it seems to stay. It functions quite well at that percentage.

They now do 'live' transplants of livers. The donor gives up 1/2 of their liver to the donee. Both halves grow into almost 100% functioning livers as it was a healthy liver.

So ............................... please do not put the cart before the horse. I am sure his doctor will give him the name of a good dietician who can develope a really great way to get healthy.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 03-15-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your words, and hugs, sure needed them.

For the record we are not married, been together for 5 1/2 years, don't live together, just seperated our finances in January. I was/am at the end of my rope, but needed to see him through this.

The results are like I stated above. He has Hep C too. Doc told him he HAS to stop drinking, that his liver could give out anytime without any warning. They have to treat him for his Hep C with meds, which she told him he has to be 2-3 months sober before they can start that or the meds would put him in liver failure. Being sober 2-3 months will bring some of the inflation down.

So IF he does this, this medication has 60% chance of working on killing the Hep c virus because his liver is so damaged. But, I think that is pretty good odds to give it a fighting chance. He would need to be on this medication for 11 months. 3 months on it, they will know if it is actually working for him, if it isn't they would need to take him off, and then there is nothing they can do about the hep c.

You guys, this is the weirdest thing for me. I feel so relieved, so much lighter, and so full of hope again for MYSELF!! I have gotten him this far, gotten him through all his appts, we now know the bottom line, and the rest is between him and the big guy upstairs.

I don't really know what he will do to be honest, I know he drank yesterday "to cope with the news". But what I feel now is all this that I have been through, this last year, talking, asking him to change, and the last 4 months of waiting to finally find out what and wherre his health is at, I feel almost excited. Is this weird????? I feel now that this part is over, I can finally concentrate on ME, and that is exactly what I am going to do. I haven't felt this hopeful in a very long time. Its weird, and I almost feel guilty about it....

Time will tell folks, but this "time" is going to be about me
Old 03-15-2012, 04:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done. You have showed great strength and composure. You also have insight into where you needed to be to step away.
John.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Please do away with your guilty feelings. You have gone above and beyond. Now be good to yourself. Find something that brings you pure joy, and throw yourself into it as hard as you threw yourself into helping him.