Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

March 12 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 03-12-2012, 01:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

March 12 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

The longer I am in Al-Anon, the more clearly I perceive that alcoholism is, indeed, a sickness, a compulsion, an obsession. But haven’t I, too, been afflicted with a sick compulsion? Wasn’t I determined to “save” the alcoholic and that to the same degree as he was addicted to alcohol? No wonder the situation became an impasse, with the irresistible force, “me,” trying to move the immovable object, “alcoholism.”

I must remind myself daily that I can save only myself. It is vital to my well-being, and that of my family, to keep myself from going down the road of self-pity, resentment and despair. I now know that I cannot live another person’s life.

TODAY’S REMINDER

When I devote myself to correcting my own shortcomings and mistakes, it cannot possibly have an adverse effect on the alcoholic. He has the same right and obligation to work out his problems, as I have to work out mine. The hands-off policy suggested in Al-anon is much more likely to strengthen his desire to seek help.

“I pray that I may learn it is not my function to direct or control another person, however close to me. I will also cease to be a crutch. I can live nobody’s life but my own.”