quitting the prozac

Old 03-04-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

quitting the prozac

My AH informed me that when he gets his last refill of prozac, that he wants to start tapering off from it. This has me concerned. I think it is really helping him cut back on his drinking, along with helping him control the urge to binge drink. So I'm afraid that he will again start using more alcohol to deal with depression issues, which in turn will lead to even more depression.

He is also going through night sweats, which I read can be due to his body getting used to not having as much alcohol in it. His legs are also constantly moving while he sleeps. Anyone familiar with these things?

I am doing as much reading as I can to learn about alcoholism. There are so many differing opinions that I think I'm more confused now than when I started.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am doing as much reading as I can to learn about alcoholism. There are so many differing opinions that I think I'm more confused now than when I started.
It is confusing and even more so when your own head is spinning.
I have some night sweats, but I am going through menopause. I have heard of the restless legs, I think that is a lack of nutrients.

Your AH needs to see a doctor, you are right to be concerned about his choice to taper off his prozac. A person with a serious mood disorder, binge drinking and making major medical decisions for himself is one of the worst ideas I ever heard.
And I am a major depressive alcoholic (alcohol free 15 years).

Is he still drinking? If he will not speak to the doctor about the prozac, you might have to do it. It is very very dangerous to stop taking prozac, he could be not wanting it because it does cut back or reduce his high (or he thinks it does).

If you have not heard of Codependent No More by Melody Beattie, then please find the book and start to work on yourself. You need support to live with an active alcoholic, the stress is bad enough on you.

Be good to yourself,

Beth
Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your insight. I do know that the doctor told him that he should try the prozac for 6 months to a year, and then try to taper off gradually.

The reason he went on the prozac to begin with was because I told him I couldn't tolerate how "snapish and sarcastic" he was being after he drastically reduced his alcohol consumption. He told the doctor that he was losing interest in things he used to enjoy, and that he was easily irritated by things that didn't used to bother him. I personally think he was having a hard time dealing with the cravings to drink bourbon instead of just low-alcohol beer.

Now he says that the urge to buy the harder stuff is diminished considerably, but I am so fearful that once the prozac is out of his system, those urges will come back with a vengeance. Time will tell, I guess. In the mean time, I will continue to read, read, read, and work on my own health and happiness.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello,

Please call his doctor and tell him/her what he is doing, this should be a managed process preferably under the care of a psychiatrist rather than a D.O. or M.D.

My pain doctor was just going to switch me from prozac to cymbalta, I thought my psychiatrist was going to stroke out, it took 4 months for me to amke the transition.

As for RLS, my mother is a severe alcoholic and has bad RLS, she drinks 2 glasses of tonic water a days and says that it is a tremendous help.

Best of luck,

Bill
Old 03-04-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

One of the WARNINGS on the Prozac site and on a RED label on the prescription bottle of Prozac is:

Do NOT drink alcohol while using PROZAC

So, if he does not or has not talked to his doctor about tapering off the Prozac and how to do it properly, this is what you might want to be watching for and be prepared to call 911:

Prozac withdrawal can include symptoms such as irritability, agitation, dizziness, burning sensation, anxiety, confusion, headache, insomnia and fatigue.
or leave and allow him to deal with the consequences of HIT ACTIONS on his own.

J M H O, but I personally would not want to be around someone in AH's condition. I would be a 'broken record' and just keep repeating "discuss this with your doctor" over and over.

Please keep posting and let us know how YOU are doing as we do care very much.

Love and hugs,
Old 03-04-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This just sucks so much. I've been in the same position. You're there trying to live your life and instead you're playing 24-hour nurse to a recalcitrant patient. At least nurses get other staff supporting them. And smoke breaks.

All you can really say is, "Sounds like something to talk about with your doctor."
Old 03-04-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with what the others say. The anti-d and the alcohol do not mix. I used to drink a little bit of alcohol socially until I started on anti-d's. Then, I realized that the alcohol effect was intensified. Plus, I read all the warnings. So, I just don't drink it at all.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you laurie. I did mix my prozac with alcohol, (because now, I remember, that was one of my "I will drink since I know my body better" ideas) and lucky not to be harmed.

My prozac changed my life when I stopped drinking.

Beth
Old 03-05-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for responding. The medical information sheet that he got with the prozac (which I read in full repeatedly) says that he should only drink moderately while on it and that alcohol MAY increase the effects of alcohol.

His doctor (also my doctor) is aware of his alcohol consumption. He has always been upfront with the doctor about it. I asked him just this morning if he is concerned that his craving for alcohol will increase once he stops the meds. And I offered to make him an appointment with the doctor to discuss how to properly taper off. He has a written instruction sheet from the doctor on how to do this, and says he will try it. If the urges to binge come back, or he notices the depression creeping back in, he will talk to doc about continuing with the prozac.

I will continue to read and I'll keep you posted.