looking for words of wisdom

Old 03-04-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Oh, and in reply to Catapatric, it doesn't sound harsh, when he was hospitalized I was relieved because I thought it might be a wake-up call for him. But, it hasn't been, as the two additional ambulance trips have shown. We get bills from the FDNY a lot because he hasn't paid it back yet. The strange thing is that he has insurance through his mother, and she has never mentioned it...I don't know, perhaps they didn't receive his insurance info and that's why we're getting the bills.

I thought of a question--would it be out of line for me to contact HIS parents? He's an only child on his dad's side, and has a little sister on his mom's. He has four parents, all of whom have much less to deal with than my parents. None of them live here, however...but maybe if his parents stepped in, that could help? The problem is that his dad and stepmom drink quite a bit (I love them, don't get me wrong), but they might not be able to help with this, I don't know...
Old 03-05-2012, 12:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

i would not contact his family, that's co-dependent behavior: trying to force your alcholic to deal with his problem. should he choose to reach out and ask for help, he can contact his family himself.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm sorry your mom isn't here to help you when you need it.

It's common that people who don't have good supportive parents find themselves with troubled partners. It's the feeling that we want to be needed and essential to someone. I've been there!

You don't need me to tell you that this is no way to live.

21 is young enough that you really need help and can't be expected to go through this alone. Talk to a counsellor and DV resources in the community, get some help so you can focus on yourself and your education.