SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   OT- taking up hobbies again (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/249479-ot-taking-up-hobbies-again.html)

wanttobehealthy 02-21-2012 11:40 AM

OT- taking up hobbies again

1 Attachment(s)
My 6 yr old has a Penguin Follies show tomorrow. All the 1st grades have been studying penguins and the culminating event is a song and dance show. We were told we could make costumes or dress the kids in black and white-- however basic or complex we wanted...

So, D6 remembered that I used to sew a lot of stuff for she and her sister when they were younger and asked if I'd make her a costume.

I found a photo on line of a costume for an infant, and decided to make a pattern from scratch from the photo and design a penguin outfit for D6.

I am attempting to attach a photo of her modeling it this morning. She is happier than a lark with her costume and I had a lot of fun getting creative again... And it feels good to remember that I have some things I am decent at!

wanttobehealthy 02-21-2012 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and flapping her wings...

lillamy 02-21-2012 12:05 PM

Oh that is just adorable!!! Good work, mama!!!

nodaybut2day 02-21-2012 12:09 PM

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute!! (Definitely an embarassing pic to pull out and show her first boyfriend when she's 16)

laurie6781 02-21-2012 01:51 PM

WOW!!!!!

You are very talented!!!!!!

and

She looks adorable!!!!!!!

Good work mama!!!!!!!

Love and hugs,

Pelican 02-21-2012 02:19 PM

Love, love, love it!

Way to go mom!

m1k3 02-21-2012 02:21 PM

Very, very cool. She is one lucky girl to have a mom like you.

:)

wanttobehealthy 02-21-2012 06:17 PM

You all are so complimentary... What I'm happiest about is a) seeing D6 sooooooo excited and b) having enjoyed myself sewing again... Haven't done any sewing in ages and had forgotten how much I enjoy it....

I love the idea NDBT of saving the pic for dating time for d6! I actually have quite a few good pics to go in that pile.. Namely one from last yr when D3 & D6 decided to play dress up w pull ups (unused ones of course!!!) and wore them as hats for a whole day! You better believe I got a ton of pics of that!

Impurrfect 02-21-2012 07:22 PM

(((WTBH))) - awesome job you did - she is adorable!! I've dipped back into my crafty side a few times, and though I don't have the time to dedicate to it that I want, some of the simplest things bring me huge joy!

I hope you have more ways planned to let out your creative skills! Oh, and yes, we do want pictures:)

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

wanttobehealthy 02-21-2012 07:34 PM

Ps this is my pixie hair cut daughter whose
moronic gramdmother told her she looks like
a boy w short hair.... To me, even dressed as a penguin she looks
pretty girly to me! She wanted to wear her
costume to bed tonight in preparation for her show tomorrow!

Impurrfect 02-21-2012 07:41 PM

(((WTBH))) - Her grandmother is mean, vindictive and has lousy eyesight. Your daughter is adorable, and I think it's so cute she wants to sleep in to "be ready":)

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

LaTeeDa 02-21-2012 07:41 PM

It just warms my heart to hear of you finding yourself again. :) I can relate to how great that feels.

Tell her to break a leg! (errr....wing?)

L

SoaringSpirits 02-21-2012 07:57 PM

Beautiful costume, precious little girl, awesome beautiful mama who is making happy memories that will last a lifetime.

I am installing landscaping and can relate ---- feels good to put energy into something creative, huh!

StarCat 02-22-2012 11:13 AM

Those pictures are adorable, and the costume is amazing. I don't blame her for being so excited!

And way to go, tapping into your creative side again!

wanttobehealthy 02-22-2012 04:38 PM

Thanks everyone.... I just looked at this thread again to see D6 looking so happy bc after what her father pulled tonight the penguin day happiness didn't really end the way it should have... :(

wicked 02-22-2012 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by wanttobehealthy (Post 3290432)
and flapping her wings...

That adorable face says it all momma!
She is so excited about how good she looks.
Got a grin on my face too!

Remember WTBH,

PIXIE POWER !!!!

Beth

lillamy 02-22-2012 04:47 PM

Big fat hugs. The thing with kids is that even if today, she told you you were mean, she will get the real picture without you having to do a darn thing except keep doing what you're doing: Loving her, caring for her, and being there and keeping her safe.

wanttobehealthy 02-22-2012 05:23 PM

Oh she can tell me I am mean a million times... it's okay... That I don't take personally. I am sad that she is hurting and at the hands of her own father and that I didn't do anything to stop it, not bc I didn't want to but bc even as I tried to stop it, I was unsuccessful...

One thing I know... I am DONE playing nice. I will not be evil or vindictive but I will be fighting tooth and nail to limit contact with the girls and AH until there is some certainty that this behavior will not occur. Taking her out of school without communicating that to me, without signing her out and then entering my home with a RO in place and taunting me to call the police and THEN harming our daughter by telling her she may not see him again for a long time bc of Mommy's actions is too much. He doesn't deserve to have access or opportunity to hurt the girls anymore. And he won't if I have any control over it. My lawyer better be ready to fight bc there is nothing he could have ever done to me that would have upset me like this. Hurt me, fine. I'll deal. Hurt my kids and all bets are off.

wywriter 02-22-2012 11:52 PM

Adorable costume! In the past year I've really gotten back into handcrafts as well, and it's amazing just how much it can help with the codie recovery :). There have been times that AH gets mad and tries to put down my crafting, probably because he knows it's how I'm creating the space I need to be healthy despite his actions, but I would probably be back on nasty antidepressants and what-not without it. With AH in jail now, I've been doing beaded micro-macrame just about non-stop all week to keep from thinking about his absence. Not only is it an excellent, meditative relaxation tool, but it's started making a little income on the side too :D.