Attached to My Grandson's Sobriety

Old 02-21-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Attached to My Grandson's Sobriety

My family is involved in an aftercare program for my grandson, who is 18. We also support him in an SLE and when he went to rehab, we were involved in that program, as well.

He is a much loved member of the family - the point is that there are other people in the family that this could have happened to and I personally would find it very easy to detach because I don't care for them as much.

Since we are supposed to support him and are involved in meetings and various other things, it is very hard to detach.

Obviously, we all want him to find sobriety. That is the preferred outcome. To pretend otherwise is dishonest. We all want that - who wouldn't?

So it's hard to be drug along with the alcoholic when you care . . .it is such a lopsided relationship. You care and they just do whatever crazy thing they want and then you deal with your anxiety and fears and grief and other feelings about it.

I don't think this is a rant - it is more frustration . . . I don't see how I can escape this trap of being attached to wanting sobriety for my grandson . . .

I go to meetings, I have other coping mechanisms, but it feels like it is just that: Coping. In every family meeting, we all cry . . .we are so shattered.

I guess this is kind of a rant, after all. Not sure.