SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   in need of a laugh? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/249381-need-laugh.html)

wanttobehealthy 02-20-2012 02:21 PM

in need of a laugh?

My brother (one of them) works with xAH. Evidently AH mentioned at lunch to all of the dept today that he "hopes" his wife (still apparantly calling me his wife) is dating. My brother just listened. One of his lackies (AH's) took the bait and asked why he'd hope that. AH's response? "Because then she will realize how great a guy I was to her and regret all that she threw away". My brother said that he nearly choked on his sandwich and shared this w me bc he thought I'd find it funny. I do.

Pelican 02-20-2012 02:32 PM

:c029:

The ego is sooooooo inflated.
I'm surprised there was enough space in the room for a man with his head so swollen with ego!

:lmao

wanttobehealthy 02-20-2012 04:46 PM

I'm amazed that as the story continued (there was more-- like reactions from their mutual colleagues of SYMPATHY for xAH and reitterating to him that he's a great catch) people (intelligent one would assume since they are high school teachers) supported and encouraged xAH's thinking along these lines...

It may not be a glowing example of recovery BUT I am pleased to realize that I am nothing other than amused by this... a year ago I would have been sad, upset, even angry.... I thanked my brother for giving me a good laugh and am relieved to be free of xAH. It's a nice feeling.

suki44883 02-20-2012 04:53 PM

They're just precious, aren't they?

LifeRecovery 02-20-2012 05:13 PM

WTBH-

I knew I was healing when I realized that I thought my exs new wife had done me some kind of cosmic favor by coming into our life. I said it in all seriousness to someone who laughed outloud (I was not attempting to be funny). It made me laugh too though after hearing that and it has been a lighthearted though ever since (even when I have to engage and he makes me mad).

It is amazing what a different perspective can do for us. Some perspective and some time can work wonders.

akalacha 02-20-2012 05:38 PM

WTBH, glad you didn't take the bait and can find the humor in this. I'd say that's a definite sign of recovery on your part!

akalacha 02-20-2012 05:40 PM

PS-Thanks for the laugh!:c011:

Willybluedog 02-20-2012 05:51 PM

What a peach this guy is, we can only hope he gets someone worthy of his superior intellect, sterling personality, and blinding good looks!

My dad told me one day, "I am so glad you did not have kids with that b!tch". (ex-wife)

I said "dad I know you hated her but why would you not want me to have children".

He said because "I would have to kiss that no good b!tches a$$ for the rest of my life!"

We were at McDonalds and I was laughing so hard that I blew soda out my nose!

I knew then I was over it.

skippernlilg 02-20-2012 05:53 PM

WOW!!! What's his number? Can I call him? What a great catch he is!!! I'm so impressed!! (If I could make a sarcastic font and market it, I'd be rich)....

nicam 02-20-2012 08:44 PM

Lots of laughs here! They are SO narcissistic it's ridiculous. It's always baffled me as well how seemingly intelligent people could eat up the obvious bs XABF fed them. Then again, I was one of those people at one point until I truly got to know what was behind the mask. Most people don't get that close.

I can't wait until the day when I can truly just make fun of his ridiculousness with my friends and family and not feel a pang of anger, sadness, anything. Complete indifference. Sounds like you're getting there!

blwninthewind 02-21-2012 08:24 AM

It's almost sad.

Almost...

then it's hysterical!

and they say us codies have distorted thinking...LOL....

Tuffgirl 02-21-2012 09:05 AM

I can see why you are divorcing him. There simply isn't room for you and his ego in your marriage.

wanttobehealthy 02-21-2012 09:38 AM

skippernlilg- yeah he is a catch all right! fbi's top ten most wanted ego maniacs!

tuffgirl- that quote about do or do not there is no try is one that i've meant to tell you for ages is awesome... i saw it (or paid attn to it for the first time probably last year at this time) and it kind of sticks with me as a turning point in my thinking. i used to lap up AH's "I want to get sober", "I'll try harder" etc... and at some point after seeing your quote I quoted it for him and told him (and it did not go over well) that I didn't want to hear about "wanting" to "try". That he should either DO what he says or zip it... It was a huge shift in my thinking to realize that talking about wanting to and intending to do things really meant nothing... So, a long overdue thanks to you for sharing that quote!

lillamy 02-21-2012 11:00 AM

Just spit coffee on my computer screen!!!

wanttobehealthy 02-21-2012 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by lillamy (Post 3290375)
Just spit coffee on my computer screen!!!

and this post from you just made me almost do the same! the only thing better than my brother reporting that AH said this would have been if he'd recorded it!

laurie6781 02-21-2012 11:26 AM

One thing I have learned over these many years.

My daddy's favorite quote and he said it many many times:

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

That has meant so much to me in recovery. Both my recovery from my own alcoholism and my recovery from my 'codie' side.

When I was in my alcoholism recovery it was a matter of ME doing or not doing, no trying. The word 'try' or derivatives thereof were COP OUTS. Then when I started working on my 'codie' side and I would hear whatever A was in my life at the moment, say I intend to do this or that, or I am trying. ............................................ I became my father, and all I could say was:

Thank you WTBH for a really great laugh today!!!!!! And for showing just how far you have come from a year ago!!!!!!

Love and hugs,

stepsforward 02-21-2012 11:34 AM

Laurie6881

I think I will steal that saying thanks

whatamess 02-21-2012 02:38 PM

Priceless!

Thanks for making me laugh.

lillamy 02-21-2012 04:05 PM

i'm curious, kinda, but are the women beating a path to this great catch??? is he having to step over them to get to get across the porch?
Well, WTBH might want to tell him that SOME AXHs have to fight'em off with a stick... :D Mine is surrounded by young adoring women who are all sure that their love would heal what ails him. Have at it, I say. And the only reason I don't deem them all idiots is that I used to be just like them... it's amazing how many codie women there are out there just looking for someone to love into line.