Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

February 19 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 02-19-2012, 12:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

February 19 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Once upon a time, a Frightened Woman cam to Al-Anon with a shocking story. Her husband was violent and often beat her; there was never enough money for food; he tangled with the police, and time after time they were evicted for not paying their rent.

She might never have had the courage to come to Al-Anon if her husband hadn’t been away in jail.

After she began to acquire a bit of confidence, she wondered whether it might not be better, after all, to take radical action. One day she asked her sponsor, “Shall I get a divorce?”

Her sponsor said, “This is a decision only you can make. Other wives might have given up long ago. But are you ready for a complete break? What does your heart tell you?”

Without hesitation, the woman said, “By all right and reason, I know I should separate myself permanently from him, but, you see, I love him.”

She had found her own answer, as all of us must. Who can understand it? Who is wise enough to make a decision for another? Surely none of us in al-Anon, for we are taught that no situation is really hopeless.

As it turned out, this one was not, either. As she overcame her fear of her husband, self-pity yielded, too. She stopped involving herself in his disasters and taking part in arguments that used to end in violence. Her husband was compelled to face his own problems, and happily, he learned to face them in AA.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by MeredithD1 View Post

She had found her own answer, as all of us must. Who can understand it? Who is wise enough to make a decision for another?

So true! We all must find our own way.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for this message. This has answered many questions for me, no matter how things turn out, I have to work on myself first. Confirmation of that is relieving, so I now know what to do next, and resolves me of the responsibility I feel for myRAH. I ve been in turmoil about what to do and how to do it. This has helped a lot. Thank you
Old 02-19-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just what I needed..thank you

It always amazes me that just when I feel I'm in the throes of despair yet again...I come back to the very foundation that is Al-anon to help me remember...I am not alone and I must work my own program and let the alcoholic work theirs.....

Originally Posted by MeredithD1 View Post

Once upon a time, a Frightened Woman cam to Al-Anon with a shocking story. Her husband was violent and often beat her; there was never enough money for food; he tangled with the police, and time after time they were evicted for not paying their rent.

She might never have had the courage to come to Al-Anon if her husband hadn’t been away in jail.

After she began to acquire a bit of confidence, she wondered whether it might not be better, after all, to take radical action. One day she asked her sponsor, “Shall I get a divorce?”

Her sponsor said, “This is a decision only you can make. Other wives might have given up long ago. But are you ready for a complete break? What does your heart tell you?”

Without hesitation, the woman said, “By all right and reason, I know I should separate myself permanently from him, but, you see, I love him.”

She had found her own answer, as all of us must. Who can understand it? Who is wise enough to make a decision for another? Surely none of us in al-Anon, for we are taught that no situation is really hopeless.

As it turned out, this one was not, either. As she overcame her fear of her husband, self-pity yielded, too. She stopped involving herself in his disasters and taking part in arguments that used to end in violence. Her husband was compelled to face his own problems, and happily, he learned to face them in AA.