Turning it on or off - a baffling switch

Old 02-20-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blwninthewind View Post
the make excuses for him...I was refering to the last paragraph. You basically were explaining why he drinks..he feels left out (poor baby!) he has poor self esteem..etc.. that's what I meant not that you were trying to 'fix it' though.

He is't ready to quit.
That's just it.
Maybe he will NEVER be ready...is that something you can live with?
If it is...that IS okay...it's YOUR choice. I won't try to make you feel bad for that decision and apologize if I did. However... I live w/ a RAH w/ just shy of 2yrs. sobriety...literally..no slips. 2 full years. AND IT IS HARD!!!!
Our relationship is a mess. Our communication is jsut crazy...and I have come to believe that this isn't what I want...sober or A he makes me nuts.
I am still trying to decide if it's A crazy behavior still in play or he's just an *******...I can't decide. So maybe I'm taking some of my frustration out on you...sorry.
Don't worry, like I said, everyone has their opinions and sharing perspectives is what it's all about. We learn from each other, sometimes hard lessons. You know, through my own recovery with Al Anon, I've 'slipped' myself. Sometimes old behaviours come rushing back and I find myself fighting against unhealthy impulses. I'm not perfect, something I used to want to deny in myself in painting a picture of a rosy life. It's awesome that your RAH is 2 yrs with no slips, but I don't imagine that many 'recovering' people from any addiction can boast that. Everyone is different, and should I condemn him for breaking down? I know he hasn't 'worked' a program because he isn't ready or willing or both, that's his business. But I won't judge how he's trying, because in the end, he really is. I have to grant him the respect that his path may be imperfect and it's up to me to decide when and if I can handle or don't want to anymore. I take it day by day too.

On a separate note, we actually used to go to an AA/ Al Anon couples meeting, and still do occasionally when I'm not in school that night, and those meetings are helpful in improving our communication skills and how to be in a relationship. Not sure if that's something that you could find.