Birthday Gift... to yourself!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Birthday Gift... to yourself!

Has anyone ever bought themselves a birthday gift?

If so, at what age? What was it and why did you get it?

I'm just curious...
Old 02-16-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I always buy myself a birthday gift. Always something inexpensive, a book or a bracelet. But it's something that I pick out for ME because I know I will enjoy it. It's a little birthday ritual that makes me feel good.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Today is my birthday. I'm not tellin my age . Don't know any of you well enough yet. And I bought myself a bass geeetar. Feels good. I also bought my wife a gift for my birthday, but she doesn't know yet.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel like everyday is my birthday now that I'm divorced, sorry I know that really sounds bad doesn't it, but now I come and go as I please, spend my money without having to ask someone else, watch whatever tv I want, and cook and eat my favorite foods, just to name a few.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh I forgot the most important, the stress and chaos are gone so I sleep all through the night!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeppers...usually something awesomely relaxing like...a massage, or alone time with a good book and something yummy to snack on.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Absolutely, get yourself something that no one else would buy for you. I will turn 50 soon and I will buy myself a really good cigar, I smoke one a year, to celebrate the fact that I am so awesome.....(:, yeah right!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I haven't -- but I bought myself a Christmas gift the last year I was married to AXH: A matching tennis bracelet and set of earrings. I figured it set me back about as much as his alcohol consumption did in a week, and that I was worth it.

(That was the year AH gave me a book about how to be a better wife and mother. )
Old 02-16-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willybluedog View Post
Absolutely, get yourself something that no one else would buy for you. I will turn 50 soon and I will buy myself a really good cigar, I smoke one a year, to celebrate the fact that I am so awesome.....(:, yeah right!
Oh that's great WBD! But it reminded me that my SO's step dad is in the hospital right now and I promised him that when he gets out (he may or may not get out) that I will bring over 3 big fat cubans for him, my SO, and myself to smoke! I've never smoked anything before in my life but I told him I would do it for him...
Old 02-16-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
I haven't -- but I bought myself a Christmas gift the last year I was married to AXH: A matching tennis bracelet and set of earrings. I figured it set me back about as much as his alcohol consumption did in a week, and that I was worth it.

(That was the year AH gave me a book about how to be a better wife and mother. )
Oh lillamy... OUCH! (on the "gift" he gave you... I hope you burned it and didn't read it!)

I love that you bought yourself some nice jewellery though! Last week I *almost* went out and bought myself a beautiful diamond ring! It was on sale for $999 and regular $2,699! But then I thought it would look like I bought myself an engagement ring (which is what they were selling it as, lol!) and I don't want my SO to feel intimidated. I know he can't afford too much so if/when he ever asks me to marry him I want his ring to be the only one that sparkles on my fingers..
Old 02-16-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

My birthday is this coming Tuesday (February 21st). I'll be twenty-nine. My coworkers surprised me with a BBQ lunch and gifts today along with my favorite cake (black forest.) They decided to do it today, because this is the day that all of our department works. It was nice to feel special.

I usually buy something small like a book or a DVD I want for myself. I think the most I spent on my birthday gift to myself was the purchase of the Mario Kart game for the Wii when it first came out. I bought it because Mario Kart is such a great game.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh lillamy... OUCH! (on the "gift" he gave you... I hope you burned it and didn't read it!)
I actually sold it to a used book store and got one of Melody Beattie's book in exchange.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This year, my 40th, I took an old pin my Mom gave me and had it redesigned into a necklace. Set me back a few hundred bucks, but oh-so-worth it! ; ) Probably the nicest thing I have bought myself - just for me - in a long time!
Old 02-16-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I started getting myself birthday gifts about the time I realized that my AH wasn't going to. Either that or he was going to get me something I totally didn't want, and likely spend my money on it! So, that was about 2001, I guess. To this day, I always treat myself to something on my birthday because I'm the only one who really knows what will make my day! Sometimes it's a little treat--like my favorite ice cream, sometimes it's something big like a new lens or a trip somewhere. It all depends on my budget at the time, but I never forget my own birthday!

L
Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well absolutely- If you dont appreciate yourself who will and you know you get what you want! I also do it at Christmas and wrap them and then act surprised! We need to love ourselves! Do something for yourself Even if it is little - but I tend to go overboard because I am worth it and so are you! ::day1
Old 02-16-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The last couple of years, I've been taking a day off work for my birthday. I do whatever I want that day, but mostly it is about having me time.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I buy myself something almost every year for my birthday. It's nicer to get something I know will like, without any expectations or resentments or disappointments.

It's a wonderful thing to do for ME - and another one of the ways I take care of myself now.

I also got myself a fabulous flower arrangement for Valentines Day. I have had so many compliments on it!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow, I love all these stories

Maybe I WILL get myself something (although not likely a $999 ring!) I have really been wanting to get myself a new hiking backpack... the one I have is...gulp... 19 years old!!! It's something I've really been wanting for a while but just haven't been able to convince myself to spend the money on one... but maybe I just will...

Thanks for the encouragement !
Old 02-18-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My birthday was on the 7th. It was the best day ever, I went to dinner with friends, and I bought myself a designer dress and some matching shoes. Best $250 I've ever spent!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday CB!