Birthday Gift... to yourself!

Old 02-18-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Ok, I gotta ask this question, for most of you is it that your SO just does not listen? It's like pulling teeth to get my wife to tell me what she wants, I have to watch her like a hawk to see if I can get any hints.

I would love to have her tell me I want _____ for Birthday, X-mas, etc.

I stopped a guy from buying pans on valentines day one year, he had that clueless look on his face and he is holding the 3-pack of cheapo pans, I'm like dude no! Go over to the other side of the store and get some perfume and flowers or candy, no pans, no iron, no can opener. I am pretty sure I saved his life....
Old 02-18-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willybluedog View Post
I stopped a guy from buying pans on valentines day one year...I am pretty sure I saved his life....
I don't care who you are, that is freaking hilarious! :rotfxko
Old 02-20-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

My father was always very good at picking out things for my mother for Valentine's Day / their anniversary - since they're one day apart, he'd go for the diamond necklace or things in that vein, and since the gift was for two romantic holidays rather than just one my mother would not comment on the price (she hates spending money on things).

For the other holidays, though, my father was always out of luck. My mother is the sort who would drop very subtle hints, and my father is the sort who would only pick up on said hints if she hit him over the head with a frying pan. She's not the sort to come out and say what she wants, so instead now she'll buy what she wants and put it in a particular part of the closet. My father will then wrap them up and give them to her on the appropriate holiday.

This typically works really well, although this Christmas there was a bit of an incident whereby one of my mother's old coats fell on top of the pile, so here she is opening up her nicely wrapped gift in front of the whole family including my father's parents, only to discover... something that looks exactly like the ten-year-old jacket my mother was trying to replace, holes and all. She looked at him politely and said, smiling, "I think I already have one of these."

I just had to share.

Me, I'm finally getting it through my head that if I want something I should just get it. I'm still cautious about some things (I still need a vacuum to replace my broken $35 one but I don't want to research into good models/brands so I still haven't gotten one yet), and I keep it within a budget, but I don't panic anymore because there's something I want but don't need so how-dare-I-buy-it.
This does, unfortunately, also mean that I'll be even more difficult to shop for. Especially since all I really want right now is a high-quality vacuum, a saucepot, and someone to clean my apartment so I don't have to do it myself.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willybluedog View Post
Ok, I gotta ask this question, for most of you is it that your SO just does not listen? It's like pulling teeth to get my wife to tell me what she wants, I have to watch her like a hawk to see if I can get any hints.

I would love to have her tell me I want _____ for Birthday, X-mas, etc.

I stopped a guy from buying pans on valentines day one year, he had that clueless look on his face and he is holding the 3-pack of cheapo pans, I'm like dude no! Go over to the other side of the store and get some perfume and flowers or candy, no pans, no iron, no can opener. I am pretty sure I saved his life....
LOL! Good save!

I began my relationship with the attitude that I won't make my husband suffer through the gift giving process. So yes, I am very clear on things I need, like, and consider the perfect gift. He's not. But I think its because he's a guy and he doesn't really care much about gifts or gift giving.