Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

February 16 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 02-16-2012, 12:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

February 16 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

“Alcoholism is a disease.” We hear this statement over and over again. It is so hard for most of us to accept because we cannot associate it with germs or viruses, as in other “respectable” diseases. Nevertheless, we will see substantial progress in ourselves once we realize that it is a physical, mental and spiritual illness that has no single isolated cause. I cannot stop it, any more than I can make a sick person get well.

Compulsive drinking is an outward manifestation of the alcoholic’s inner anguish; if it goes on, it becomes a destructive cycle of deterioration. To make myself ready to help, I must, first of all, accept alcoholism as an illness.

TODAY’S REMINDER

How does the knowledge that the alcoholic is sick work on me? It changes my attitude toward him! It replaces my rage and frustration with quiet patience. It lets me choose the right moment to suggest AA – when he is truly in despair and willing to acknowledge his need for help.

“I pray for the realization that the alcoholic is sick and desperate, and I ask that I be given the strength to help him in the right and constructive way.”
Old 02-16-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Again MD1 for posting the one day at a time. Since I don't have the book these have really helped.

For myself about this disease thing. I understand that its a disease. But its funny my AW always uses it for a excuss. This past week,"Oh I had another relapse because of my disease". Because of her "disease relapse"and she plays"pity me I have a disease card" our son won't talk to her and he decided to stay in colledge over this summer to stay away from her. Which is really the best thing for him. But whats really funny she has convinced her parents and her 2 closest friends that my son and I are the cause of her drinking. I did'nt know I could play God and create a disease ! Thats why I'm at a cross roads and want to end this marriage, because I see I'm in a lose,lose situation forever. Thanks for letting me vent ! Have A Good 1,