Do what you want to do!

Old 12-18-2003, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Do what you want to do!

Sometimes I'm amazed at how shut off I've been to anything other than the thoughts in my head (i.e. how will this affect me, what will I get out of this). Yesterday I actually listened to my recovering spouse and out popped a tid-bit of wisdom. It came in the form of a rant, but there it was. My usual response would be to take what he was saying personally and lose all my reason and sanity. But I've been praying for sanity, and yesterday I had just enough to react in a different way. First I thought "This is his problem, not mine." Then I kept an open mind. He was upset about people's expectations of him (especially mine). Then he said something that made a lot of sense. Every one thinks that if people would just do what I want them to do, they would be happy, but everyone is unhappy being told what to do. So the reality, I concluded, is that people are happiest doing what they want and making their own decisions. The other thing I realized is that when I want other people to do what I want, it's not for them, It's to fix me. So the real deal is "Live and Let Live." Me and God have to find a better fix for me. And remember, If you hate the alcoholic, you hate yourself. So learn to love the sick puppies, so you can learn to love yourself. Peace! Magic
Old 12-18-2003, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

:xmassmile
Old 12-18-2003, 04:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't ya just love those light bulb moments.....something just clicks and .....you get it!!!

Constant
Old 12-18-2003, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Location: somewhere's east of the suez where a man can raise a thirst..where there aint no ten commandments and the best is like the worst
Yay neato! Flipped a switch for me!
Old 12-18-2003, 11:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

:kisshugs: