Breaking it off tonight

Old 02-11-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Breaking it off tonight

I'm breaking up with my RABF tonight. It actually has nothing to do with his alcoholism rather than just feeling like we're not a good match. I'm just not 'feeling it' anymore. I'm mostly worried about making waves in his recovery...which I know is rediculous, but I still worry. It's because of this that I'm going to talk to him tonight after 10 (liquor stores close at 10). I know that he is the only one that controls his drinking, but this is helping me feel a little less guilty.

Ugh, this sucks.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Sending support and encouragement as you do the next right thing for you.

(((hugs)))
Old 02-11-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wishing you the very best with a difficult conversation. Good for you for realizing what is right for you and for being honest about your feelings. Also, I applaud your respect for his recovery. You are an inspiration.

(PS: My own relationship might have ended tonight. I wish as maturely as yours!)
Old 02-11-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there, big hugs to you.

Bill
Old 02-11-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((button21))) - not only do I have loved ones who are addicts/alcoholics, I'm a recovering addict.

When I wanted to continue using? Every and any excuse would work. When I wanted recovery? Nothing, and I do mean nothing, was going to stop me.

In my recovery I have dealt with the breakup of my bf (he had no intention of quitting the crack), the death of his mom (who I adored, and she adored me), HIS death, death of very dear relatives, 2 armed robberies...the 2nd I was pistol-whipped by a kid who went out and murdered 4 people and a dog the next day, and many, many other things.

None of that caused me to use.

Take care of you...he's going to do what he's going to do, but it's all on him. If he goes down the spiral of addiction, it has nothing to do with you. If he continues in recovery, that's on him, too.

People break up for all kinds of reasons. This relationship is just not working for you. Good reason. Don't let the fear of what he may, or may not do, stop you from doing what YOU need to do.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-11-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh Amy, each time that I hear a little more of your story I am just more amazed at your strength, you are such an inspiration and such a dear friend. I love you so much.

Big hugs,

Bill
Old 02-12-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. It actually went pretty well. He was pretty angry at first, but we've talked and both agree that it's for the best. He said he thanks me for my support and that he hopes we can still remain friends. It's all good
Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been thinking about you all day and wondering how you are. I'm so glad to hear it went smoothly and that you are feeling relief. Again, kudos for realizing your feelings and handling everything so well.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done you for being so strong. Glad the talk went well.