Cooking with Alcohol

Old 02-14-2012, 01:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I agree with sesh. The more I think of it...

Why does adult daughter need to consult *you* about what or what isn't acceptable for your husband to eat? Is there a reason she didn't ask dad straight-out: "So Dad do you eat things that use alcohol in the recipe? Just wondering before I make you dinner."

Or if she had a doubt and had to ask--why not just go with another recipe?

I don't know your situation at all, so tell me off if I'm out of line, but is it possible there's some tip-toeing or coddling going on around your husband?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Like Cyranoak, I believe that alcoholics should at least be notified when they are being served food that has or has had alcohol used in the preparation so they can choose for themselves. Taste and smell are powerful memory triggers.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
cmc

I think it would taste great with ginger ale or any citrus flavored soda. You guys have made me hungry for roasted chicken- I have one of those roasters like anvil showed but have never used it.

btw...I've known several folks who have trouble with just the 'taste' of an alcoholic drink and some who can't even have a sip nor even the trace amount leftover after cooking without having problems.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by akrasia View Post
I agree with sesh. The more I think of it...

Why does adult daughter need to consult *you* about what or what isn't acceptable for your husband to eat? Is there a reason she didn't ask dad straight-out: "So Dad do you eat things that use alcohol in the recipe? Just wondering before I make you dinner."

Or if she had a doubt and had to ask--why not just go with another recipe?

I don't know your situation at all, so tell me off if I'm out of line, but is it possible there's some tip-toeing or coddling going on around your husband?
My daughter usually calls me several times a day, so it wasn't like she was "not" asking him, and it was a last minute thought. Her and her BF invited my other daughter and her husband to dinner, and at the last minute, I think she thought mom & dad (me & RAH) would feel left out. She was just curios, and I didn't know the answer. My home is alcohol free always and my adult children understand and honor that, but if we go to her home or my other daughters home, her BF or my SIL may have a beer. So I don't feel like we are coddling RAH. Hope this clarifys it.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Fair enough and point well taken...

...but you are talking to people who have seen other human beings consume, among other things:
  1. Hand cleaner
  2. Mouth wash
  3. Cough Syrup
  4. Rubbing alcohol
  5. And yes, Vanilla Extract

Maybe you didn't, but viewed through the filter above food cooked in or with alcohol, rational or not, can be very, very scary. There is more than one road to Perdition.

Take care,

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Choose not to consume these foods as you wish, but don't try to convince others that they are the first step on the road to perdition. I am pretty sure that it was the forty gallons a year of vodka that led to my alcoholism, not the boeuf bourgignon.