hope

Old 03-05-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes, yes it is! I've never been one to talk much about my problems, but I learned that when things are truly awful it helps enormously to be supported and heard, even if it doesn't change the circumstances.

Since I decided to start talking about my situation, I've found incredible support from family, friends and co-workers, many of whom have experience dealing with addicts, codependency or both.

I don't go a lot into details, and I don't bash AH more than I can help. But I can now share when I'm having a really tough day, and people have been 100% kinder than I ever expected.

And of course right here is a wonderfully safe place to reveal your weak spots. I'm not always ready for what I hear, but that's pushed me along my path sometimes when nothing else would.

Not everyone is kind or gentle, but I've been pleasantly and gratefully surprised more often than I can count.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow, I am sorry you are going through all of this. It sounds like you are beginning to take the steps to help yourself though...keep up the good work.

I've found Al-Anon and counseling to be incredibly helpful in building up myself. Learning that I can only change myself was a big lesson. I thought if I loved hard enough, got mad enough, etc., then people in my life would change...But I realize that's not the case. I'm still a work in progress.

Have you purchased any of the literature? I found some of it to be helpful.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank You

Hello, I am new to this site so please bare with me if I didn't post this correctly.

I was inspired to join this site after reading the posts submitted by RLW and the wonderful advice and support received by others on the forum.

I too, have a sister who is an alcoholic and prescription drug abuser. My mother enables my sister and keeps quiet about my sister's medical and social life. For example, sometimes I will find out my sister was in the hospital a week after she has already been released.

I never imagined alcohol abuse could disrupt a family unit and cause such termoil.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
RLW

Literature recommendations.

I was wondering what Literature anyone would recommend?

I purchase the updated Alanon.

Has anyone tried just, journaling? How did this work for you?

RLW