OT - In my happy place...

Old 02-07-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - In my happy place...

I had a conversation with my daughter a couple of weeks ago (she's 19 now) and she told me that she has discovered that she is sometimes frustrated and anxious, even when things are going well. She also told me that she has tracked this problem down to a lack of being creative. If she is not doing something creative, something she is passionate about, the negative feelings set in. Quite wise for 19, I think. This weekend, I took her wisdom and went about creating. Even though my house needs cleaning and my checkbook needs balancing. And I feel so much better for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sunsetreflection.jpg (30.1 KB, 91 views)
Old 02-07-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Since mother nature is not cooperating with my ideas about shooting snowy "winter wonderland" scenes, I fell back on one of my favorites. Waterfalls!
Attached Images
hedgecreekfalls.jpg (43.2 KB, 90 views)
Old 02-07-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

And, with yesterday being the full moon, I had to do some planning and plotting to make sure I was in the right spot when it came up.
Attached Images
fullmoonrising.jpg (24.5 KB, 89 views)
Old 02-07-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Beautiful. I also take pictures and love it.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
she told me that she has discovered that she is sometimes frustrated and anxious, even when things are going well. She also told me that she has tracked this problem down to a lack of being creative. If she is not doing something creative, something she is passionate about, the negative feelings set in. Quite wise for 19, I think.
She is wise!

I think that apple fell really close to it's fruit-bearing tree

You are a good mom, and a terrific photographer. Thank you for sharing the beauty and insight!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

God those pictures are stunning.

Wise young woman! Good for her. And you.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

mother nature is not cooperating with my ideas about shooting snowy "winter wonderland" scenes
Mother nature does provide that. You're just in the wrong state. (Said the woman who shoveled at least a foot of snow off her driveway on Friday night... )

Seriously, with your talent, you should come shoot in Alaska. Now that we have daylight again.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to love to do puzzles. Get a beautiful picture like that waterfall and concentrate on the tiny pieces until I get the whole picture.

And, in a way, I have contributed to making my own beauty (putting it together).

The full moon is inspirational.

Lovely pics LTD. Thank you so much.

Beth
Old 02-08-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lillamy,

Shooting Alaska is most definitely on my bucket list. I just need to wait till I'm retired and shooting full time in order to spend a proper amount of time up there!

L

P.S. Are you and Tuffgirl on the Alaska Tourism Board by any chance? LOL
Old 02-08-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Is that view of the mountains right from your house? GORGEOUS! I love it!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wish it was from my house. I have to drive about 30 miles to get that close. There are, however, some places here in town with nice views, I just don't own one of them. LOL

L
Old 02-08-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

LaTeeDa, thank you for sharing your photos. I agree with Lillamy and Tuffgirl, Alaska would be a wonderful place for you to photograph. I've been trying to get photos of the mountains this past week, because they've been just lovely, but, my iPhone just isn't doing them justice.

I ran across a few quotes and would love to share:

It is the creative potential itself in human beings that is the image of God. - Mary Daly

Creativity is the harnessing universality and making it flow through your eyes. - Peter Koestenbaum

and from the amazing Louis Armstrong: What we play is life.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
like that impossibly huge yellow moon rising last nite

<------------------------

(This post is gonna look really stupid next time I change my avatar, lol!)
Old 02-08-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
Gosh i wish LTD was here to snap a shot of this!!!!! LOL
You can do it! All you have to do is, get a really long zoom lens, drive to a spot where there are no power lines or other obstructions, set up the tripod, take a few shots a different exposures to make sure you got it right, keep the shutterspeed fast so the moon doesn't blur when it moves, and there you go!

Oh, and dress warmly with a hat and gloves cause February full moon shots are chilly! LOL

L
Old 02-08-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

After Alaska LTD has to come to Thailand. Heck, South East Asia.
Although you might need a few spare decades to explore everything...

So many interesting things to photograph one could go crazy.

The airplane ticket cost me around 2000 USD but once you get here it is very cheap to survive.

Accommodation, food and basically anything you might need is so cheap you won´t bother to do currency exchange conversions. The people are the friendliest, kindest people I have met. Service at any level, manicure/pedicure, market, travel agency, doctors or whatever is outstanding. OK maybe the cab driver is not that friendly but they have taximeters so no struggling there.

Granted, most Thais are not rich or swimming in money yet they are so content and calm. A very spiritual place, chaotic at times but I never feel in danger, personally (of course not visiting bad areas at night for instance, as elsewhere). Interesting melting pot, people of many different nationalities (and attires) going about their business peacefully. Warm weather, excellent tasty food, great shopping, sight seeing, temples, parks, museums, coffee shops, libraries, flower markets you can visit in a canoe, trekking and all those 'natural adventure' stuff if you are into it. And waterfalls, your favorite theme! so definitely it is worth saving.

Your friend,
Tc999 at the Bangkok Tourism board lol.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

And where is the thread with Thailand pics??? Hmmmm????

L
Old 02-08-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

On the theme of Southeast Asia, here is an interesting photography story about my idol and inspiration--Galen Rowell:

Galen Rowell (1940-2002) pioneered "participatory (wilderness) photography," in which the photographer becomes an active creative participant in fine-art image making. An accomplished outdoorsman and adventurer, his deep emotional connection to nature pervades virtually all of his photographs. Another signature characteristic is his vivid use of color during the "magic hour" (at sunrise and sunset); indeed, it is arguably true that Rowell was as much a "master of color" as Ansel Adams was a master of black & white. (It is fitting that he received the Ansel Adams Award for his contributions to the art of wilderness photography in 1984.) The life of this extraordinary artist was cut tragically short in 2002 when the plane carrying Rowell and his wife (Barbara Rowell, herself an accomplished photographer) crashed as they were both returning home from a Workshop in the Sierra Mountains.

Rainbow over the Potala Palace is, according to Rowell himself, one the great photos of his life. I have selected it as one of my own epiphanous photos for two reasons: (1) it is a magnificent Wagnerian-like "epic" photograph, that is jaw-droppingly beautiful as a print and even more so as a symbolic synergy of aesthetics and spiritual meaning, and (2) it is a quintessential example of Rowell's lifelong practice of participatory creation.

According to Rowell (see The Power of Participatory Photography in Inner Game of Outdoor Photography, pages 41-43), this image was captured not long after a trekking group (consisting of about 15 people) that Rowell was a part of in Tibet was called to dinner. A rainbow suddenly appeared in a field below them, though not (from the point of view of the trekkers at that particular moment, as they were all settling down to dinner) in the spot that it appears in Rowell's subsequent photograph.

Rowell, relying on his years of experience with optical phenomena in diverse environments, imagined in his mind's eye the precise spot he must get to from which the rainbow would appear to emanate from the roofs of the Dalai Lama's Potala Palace. Dropping his dinner, and running into the fields as fast as he could to get to where he knew he had to position himself, he managed to capture this incredible photograph.

None of the other trekker/photographers budged an inch; although many later "claimed" to have captured the same image. In fact, none of the other images even came close to having the same drama, with the rainbows in other "versions" (having been captured from obviously wrong angles) either badly missing the Palace or invisible altogether. Only in Rowell's photograph does the rainbow rise majestically out from the Palace. Only Rowell had the forethought, intuition and strength of will to get himself, his camera and his "eye" into the right place at the right time.

Rowell, in his essay (see above), quotes Jacob Bronowski, who finds a similar pattern in the history of scientific creativity: "The mind is roving in a highly charged active way and is looking for connections, for unseen likenesses...It is the highly inquiring mind which at that moment seizes the chance...The world is full of people who are always claiming that they really made the discovery, only they missed it."

Rowell's Rainbow over the Potala Palace taught me that a great natural scene is not always (perhaps even rarely!) enough, by itself, for a fine art photograph. It is not enough to be properly attentive, but then sit patiently, passively, awaiting the right confluence of light, tone, texture and form to present itself; one must imagine the exact space-time-soul point where that magical confluence will arise, and then act swiftly, and decisively, to grab it!
And here is the photograph it is about:
Attached Images
Untitled.jpg (30.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 02-08-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

That picture is unreal!

LOL LTD!

Well, for now, stuck at work and my only outings have been the Bumrungrad Hospital. And the gym if I am lucky. Very depressing I know. The good news is that nothing really bad was found and the health recommendation is to: Eat More Pizza. (that's true... vitamin D/calcium deficiency )

So that is a "treatment course" I CAN follow.

Hopefully today I can get some from the sculptures at the Benjasiri park which is nearby now I feel rushed, lol ..
Old 02-08-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No rush. Eat pizza, get well, then shoot pics.

How long are you there for?

L
Old 02-10-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
Lillamy,

Shooting Alaska is most definitely on my bucket list. I just need to wait till I'm retired and shooting full time in order to spend a proper amount of time up there!

L

P.S. Are you and Tuffgirl on the Alaska Tourism Board by any chance? LOL
I, for one, LOVE our tourists up here! I love meeting folks here for the first time, listening to their stories and hearing how fascinated they are with Alaska, and asking me all kinds of funny questions about Alaskan life, especially after the Palin-era. No, we can't see Russia from our back yards! LOL!

But lillamy is right - there is always something breathtaking to see here. Every day. Even when we are shoveling a foot of snow (my Gosh that hurt my back!) Just two days ago, I was sitting in my living room, having that first cup of coffee. The sun was just peeking over the mountains, and I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. Moose in the backyard! Yeah! Well, as long as I am not bothering them or the dogs aren't bothering them, they are cool to watch.
Attached Images
Moose 2.2012.jpg (95.6 KB, 31 views)