Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Do You People Know Each Other Or Does Everyone Just Seem the Same?

Old 02-07-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just wondering if any of you know each other or if, because of the traumas of this disease, everyone just seems the same - like one big problem?

Is there a way the good side of people comes out on these threads and people get to know each other aside from these problems?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I havent met people on here face to face,
but have found wonderful friendships in Alanon classes

Its like having family, all over the world..lol

Problems? yeah, we all have had the same problems all right!!!..
Kind of like a candy bar, the outside wrapper looks different,
but inside..it's all chocolate....
Old 02-08-2012, 12:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You know, after six years in Al-Anon and here, when people talk about their spouses, I can tell which ones are married to alcoholics without them mentioning drinking with one single word.

It's almost frightening how similar our lives are. How similar alcoholics become in their disease. How similar we become, living with that disease in our lives. But it's a good thing. Because how would we otherwise be able to support each other?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
So it goes

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
You know, after six years in Al-Anon and here, when people talk about their spouses, I can tell which ones are married to alcoholics without them mentioning drinking with one single word.

It's almost frightening how similar our lives are. How similar alcoholics become in their disease. How similar we become, living with that disease in our lives. But it's a good thing. Because how would we otherwise be able to support each other?
Agreed, I am new to AA, I think that once we realise that we all have had similar symptoms and are not alone, we can recognise the symptoms in others. I think the drinking culture in the UK has a lot to do with it, I know so many people who like I used to have a bottle (or three) of wine in the evening.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've enjoyed making friends here. But I also really like the company of people I meet almost daily in real life in the recovery network.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
NAIOU

I thought for a long time that I was different from everybody else. What I found out in recovery is I am just a another one, trying to find the way to a different life. Life is good its my perspective of life that will get me in trouble. I have not met anyone here face to face, but I feel like I know them, because they all sound like me. There is a lot of Love here at SR. and it makes me feel good just to be here. Go on the chat channel and you will meet some good people. You can talk about anything and get to know people. This is what I do.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Seek,

I have made several friendships here, people I talk to in private messages or on facebook, we discuss many things that have nothing to do with our discussions here.

To me these friendships have a special meaning because many of the people I know away from here have no comprehension of the pain I have suffered and therefore don't really "know" me, the know the me that I was taught by my abusive parents to show to the world.

Only now with the safety net of therapy and friendships here am I able to share with family and friends what my life was and is like.

I hope that answers your question.

Bill
Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

LOL! Sometimes it seems like we are all friends who hang out regularly.

I have met some folks from this site in person. Others I just know by their names here and nothing else, yet they have been a substantial influence in my life in a short period of time. Funny how life works - we may never realize just how much we altered some stranger with our acts of kindness and love.

But I also agree our situations and behaviors are similar and it makes it just that much easier to relate to each other.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I thought for a long time that I was different from everybody else. What I found out in recovery is I am just a another one, trying to find the way to a different life.
Ain't that the truth. I remember an old coworker coming back from his first AA meeting saying he had nothing in common with those people because they were all a bunch of loser drunks. :rotfxko

He's sober today and sponsors new loser drunks (his words, not mine).

I had the same thought walking into my first Al-Anon meeting. Expecting to find all these worn out sad-looking plain-dressed gray 40-something women who were frail little flowers. The first person I met at Al-Anon was a flamboyantly gay guy who wouldn't have been more colorful if he had actually worn a pink feather boa.

To me, it's finding the common under the superficial differences -- in looks, income, clothes, politics, religion -- that is so amazing to me. And sad. Alcoholism is truly a disease that doesn't discriminate.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Well ~ I have been on SR since 2006 and I have formed friendships with people here that is amazing!

I have had the pleasure of meeting face to face several of my SR friends ~ talking with them on the phone - mailing them copies of my cd when I told my story at a Convention ~ received cards, letters, etc from them.

It has become a true "recovery" family for me.

I even had one SR friend notice when I had an article printed in the Al-Anon Forum ~

The bond between myself and my SR family ~ is unbelievable.

but that is just my e, s, & h . . .

I pray that each of you are able to have the same ~ it is truly a blessing!

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 02-08-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
I think we are similar in that we have all tried to carry that cat, some of us a lot longer than others.

And we all have the scars to prove it.

Your friend,
Old 02-08-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ah Mike, that is perfect!
carrying the cat. yup.

Beth
Old 02-08-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Is there a way the good side of people comes out on these threads and people get to know each other aside from these problems?
Oh yes, did you read the thread about "What normies (normal people with no addiction in their lives) should know" or something like that......
Hmm, it might be a sticky.

I hope you stay so we can get to know you too seek. So far, you are doing great!

Beth
Old 02-08-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I haven't met anyone here in person....for starters I live on the other side of the atlantic to most of you !!!
I have learned a lot from the amazing people on this site and that is invaluable. To know you are not going thru something alone also make a world of difference.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
NAIOU

Never alone again.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I've met a couple people in person that I met here.

To be honest, I don't know anyone here really well but I sure feel like I do!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've met a few SR people f2f, have many more that I communicate on a regular basis via e-mail, pm, FB and phone. Like ((Bill)) we talk about everyday stuff, most of the time, but we also are there for each when we struggle.

I consider the people here my friends, and my family has gotten used to "a friend on my recovery board told me about..." because I've learned so much here, even about things that have nothing to do with recovery. Like recently, when dad was in the ER and told he has congestive heart failure, needs to lose weight, I got all kinds of info from people here.

I do believe the bond is what we all have in common. Maybe there are some variations, but it seems we all "get it". I also think I have a radar, now, that can spot a codie or an A within minutes, but then I have my own personal experience in both of those...what I've learned here has helped me to see red flags a lot quicker.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-08-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

LOL ... it's called codependency, that's why we all sound alike. Not here but I have lots of friends in the program and yes, a fairly happy life.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

seek I consider many of the members here part of my spiritual family and I owe them healthier attitudes I experience nowadays. Like Willy I find I can be authentic here with people who understand and many who have an interest on spiritual perspectives, commitment to improvement of their life, that is something I do not see often in my real life. And yes many posts sound similar, due to the pain but also due to the huge hearts that abound here (especially the Friends and Family forum).
Old 02-08-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

People I consider "friends" here may not even know it. There are several people whose posts I especially love to read. They almost always touch me and give me something I was needing to hear.