SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   drinking pop today, but... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/248148-drinking-pop-today-but.html)

feelingalone43 02-06-2012 04:23 PM

drinking pop today, but...

So my AH came home this afternoon after being away for the weekend. He was actually drinking a pop when he got here. Nice.

However, I could smell the lingering alcohol on him when he talked. I can also tell by his eyes that he drank too much over the weekend (we've been married 19 years). I kept my mouth shut and didn't ask him how much he had to drink, as he came home sober.

I just wonder if by drinking when he is away and staying sober while at home is going to be enough to keep us together, and how long he can keep that up. We'll see how it goes.

lillamy 02-06-2012 04:47 PM

I just wonder if by drinking when he is away and staying sober while at home is going to be enough to keep us together, and how long he can keep that up.
The first part is going to be up to you to decide. The second part? You're realizing he won't, and that it's just a matter of time. And that's wise. It's an ugly, ugly disease that eats people.

marie1960 02-06-2012 09:13 PM

feelingalone, This maybe the perfect time to start forming a plan B.
Speaking from experience, you cannot ignore the huge elephant in the room for very long. It takes up to much space, and smells bad.

Sending you a big hug)))) Take care of you first.

naive 02-07-2012 01:09 AM

i'm not sure which is worse....a drunk person or a depressed, red-eyed, hungover pop drinking one...

which do you prefer?

feelingalone43 02-07-2012 06:15 AM

I definitely prefer the pop-drinking person. The depression is being helped with the use of prozac. I just hope that when the doctor tells him to decrease the prozac, the drinking doesn't increase to make up for it. Only time will tell on that one.

I know that everyone has different experiences, but has anyone here been on this same path? No one can predict the future, but I sure could use a head's up on what kind of hurdle he will face when the doctor tells him to try going off the drug.

nodaybut2day 02-07-2012 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by feelingalone43 (Post 3272201)
I definitely prefer the pop-drinking person.

For me, the pop drinking person eventually enraged me, because I knew it was a lie, a pretense slapped together to appease me...for as long as he felt I deserved it. And when he started pouring Jack into his pop, it truly was a sham.

tjp613 02-07-2012 10:23 AM

Why do you think the doctor will want him off of Prozac? If he's depressed he can stay on the medication for the rest of his life if needed.

feelingalone43 02-07-2012 01:17 PM

I don't know that the doctor will tell him to get off the prozac for sure. I do know that he told him that when he thinks he's ready to try getting off it, he needs to taper off gradually. Then decide if he can "handle" things without it.

No, I do not like the fact that he is still drinking. He does not lie to me about it, nor try to hide it. He has told me that he does not want to quit. Maybe some day, but it will be because he wants to, not because I want him to. For now, I am taking it one day at a time.

marie1960 02-08-2012 08:10 AM

The best way to predict future behavior? PAST BEHAVIOR!!!!