New here and scared

Old 01-31-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question New here and scared

Typing these words is harder than I thought it was going to be. Two weeks ago my son was taken to the ER after having a seizure. It had been 14 hours since he had had a drink. After doing some test the doctor told him that if he does not STOP drinking he only has about two years to live. He is 31 years old. He came to our house and he was sober for 61 hours and then wanted to go home and the first thing he did was drink. His drink of choice is Hot Damn..100 proof. The last week he has been drinking vodka which affects him differently. He becomes badgering, rude, angry, argumentative, etc. He keeps saying he wants to come here and stay for a week and if I thought he really wanted to quit , I would be all for it, but he uses our emotions and plays with them like it is a game.
He has lost jobs that some people would die for and he just blames someone else for everything. He lies all the time and can sound so convincing. We have a family " intervention" , he cried and swore that he wanted help and would go to rehab, but without insurance noone wants to take him especially because he has had a seizure now. I don't know whether I should let him come here or not.
He has in the past beat eating disorders and drugs ( meth), but he says the alcohol is different. I don't know...I have never had a drinking problem or done drugs, so I only have his word for that. Please help if you can.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((ntracefan))) - Welcome to SR, though I am so sorry for what has brought you here. There are "stickies" - posts at the top of this forum that have a lot of good information.

When I first got here, I read, and read, then read some more. I found out I wasn't alone (and neither are you) and that as much as no one wants to be going through what we do? It's comforting to know there are others going through the same thing.

I am a recovering addict and have loved ones who are addicts, so know both sides of the fence. However, I will leave it to the more seasoned people here to offer their experience, strength and hope. I will, however, say one thing - he won't stop drinking (or anything else) until he wants it more than anything else. If he wants it? He will find a way. Either way, it's all on him to make the decision.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy