Help! Checking account in the red, again!

Old 01-31-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Help! Checking account in the red, again!

Hi, everyone! I am new here to SR. I am married to AH and I have been going to alanon. I am working on getting a sponsor and I can't wait to start the 12 steps. I have finally started to stand up for my rights! I have been letting AH drive my pickup since Ive known him. He doesn't have a dl and so he is putting my auto insurance at risk, not to mention my entire future. I finally told him he couldn't do it anymore and I asked him if he would sign the title to it so it would be in his name. He wouldn't do it. So, he forced my hand and I had to call the cops. Now, he wants a divorce.

But, I have a more pressing question. I insisted he add his name to my checking account! Dumb, I know. But, now, I can't close the account out without his help. He has put our account in the red twice lately. Today, it's there again. What do I do? Do I deposit money in there? He may or may not pay me back. Since I don't know when I will see him again, I am rather stumped. I want to take care of me and not rescue him! But, this is my account, too! Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

contact the bank manager, explain the situation, and suspend the account-- DO NOT PUT MONEY IN IT. open a new account and don't tell AH about it.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe you could take your name off the account? Is that possible? Then you would not have to close it which would require both signatures?

Do not deposit any more money. Open your own account with your name on it only.

Do you know any of the people there? At the bank, you could talk to someone, an account executive? These are just a few ideas I had, not sure if they would work.

Beth
Old 01-31-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I cannot close the account or take my name off of it but I could talk to the bank manager. He may even be a classmate of mine!!! Great ideas! Thank you!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

:ghug3
Old 01-31-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Don't make any more deposits to the account open a new one in your name only. If the account is... or.... either one of you can close the account, if it is..and.. then it would require both signatures to close.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Duplicate post!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just called the president of the bank. He is going to look into this for me and call me tomorrow. I actually called him at home! It's not what you know it's who you know, my mother always said! So, I will find out something! I already opened up my own account and haven't put money into this one in months. Just don't want to get in bad standings with my bank nor do I want to have to pay if back for him! I'm pretty sure he is out tonight writing more checks! He was supposed to be picked up today and transported to treatment. They are waiting until morning! Really! Unreal! And he writes checks for $100.00 a pop! If I knew where he was I would call the bars and inform then he is broke!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job Faithfulone. Perhaps you can open a new account tomorrow in your name only. I would have gone directly to the bank as well.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

good girl! take that power back!!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the props! It feels good to be in charge of my life! Or at least more in charge of it every day!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just wanted to let everyone know that my bank called me and told me as long as the reserve was paid back I can close out the account! Seems to me that I bought my AH a shotgun when I first met him and it is registered to me! So, I am going to sell it, pay off the bank, close out the account and be rid of this stress once and for all! Yay!!!