Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

January 29 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 01-28-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

January 29 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Of course I am obligated, by compassion and a common humanity, to help others. But this does not mean I should do for them what they ought to do for themselves. I have no right to deprive anyone else of the challenge to meet his own responsibility. Although mutual dependence is one of the comforts and rewards of marriage, each partner must do his own job, carry his own share of the burden. If the alcoholic member of the family fails in his duties, my assuming them will only weaken his will to accept his share of the responsibility.

TODAY’S REMINDER

How can I bets help the alcoholic? By not interfering when he gets into difficulties. I must detach myself from his shortcomings, neither making up for them nor criticizing them. Let me learn to play my own role, and leave his to him. If he fails in it, the failure is not mine, no matter what others may think or say about it.

“For though we are made especially for the sake of one another, still each of us has his own tasks. Otherwise another’s faults would harm me, which God has not willed, in order that my happiness may not depend on another.” – Marcus Aureliuss: MEDITATIONS, paraphrased
Old 01-29-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thnak you very much for you work

I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to post the daily readings.

It really has helped me to have to find the daily readings because I need them in my life and to know that someone has taken the time and the energy to provide them.

Just wanted to say thank you again and that you work helps.