Buying alcohol for the A?

Old 01-26-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
BHF

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
PA, between NYC and Philadelphia. Someone from RABF's addiction class shared that with them, so I really don't know all that much about it. I guess the idea is if someone is drinking to the point of having seizures if they stop, they shouldn't be driving anytime in the near future anyway...
Not familiar with the particular law there, but, yes, it does seem reasonable to me. In TN, if you exhibit signs of a seizure due to any type of untreated illness - diabetes, epilepsy, etc (I've only seen this when the event happens during driving, but don't think the law clearly makes this specification) then the Dept. of Safety can suspend your license for 6 months, or until a treating physician will submit a written statement that you are on medications and/or stable, therefore not a danger to drive. You can imagine that lots of doctors are not keen to sign off on this, opening themselves up to a possible liability claim. Although I've never heard of the State trying to do this for alcohol-related seizures, I bet it would work the same in court. Would also be hard to prove that your "stable" and therefore eligible to get your license back.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I had worked at the DMV in Calif and if any medical professional treated anyone for seizures they were required to report it to DMV. DMV would set up a hearing and require medical reports from the treating physician. They would and did lose their driver's license until they were 'stabilized' for if I remember right 6 months. They had to have gone a certain amt. of time without a seizure before having the drivers license reinstated. Any condition that caused a seizure would fall under this restriction not just alcohol.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It is that way here too. The seizure triggers that process no matter what the cause.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
CHoublak, there is no way the state could prove the driver had a seizure from alcohol unless they admitted it. Which for sly alcoholics would never happen.
The ER personnel reports it.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

An ExAB I had 9 years ago when I was very young and naive. I got to a point where I wanted him to drink because when he drank he was super sweet and living sober he was a quiet cold mean butthole.

Thankfully he was so mean that it made it easier for me to leave.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I can't say for sure but I can say that I rarely bought alcohol for my AH.

When I did it was because he was already trashed and had no business on the road. I wasn't thinking of his wellbeing but those he could kill drunk driving.