Went to my first meeting last night

Old 01-13-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to my first meeting last night

Finally went to my first alanon meeting last night. I was very nervous & anxious but I knew that it could only better than how I have been feeling. I've been lurking & posting for quite a few months & have picked up A LOT of useful information but being face to face with people who have/are going through what I am going through, for me, gets through to me in a more meaningful & useful way. I guess I'm posting this so hopefully if there is another "me" out there, it won't take them as long as it did me. After all the anxiety & denial of my situation it was a huge relief to finally accept it for what it is & hopefully REALLY start my recovery.

Before I went, I thought I could pick up some tools & "deal with it". What it did is made me realize there is a whole toolbox full of tools I don't know how to use. At the meeting I realized I can learn how to use them from people who know how! I suppose in time I could have figured it out, but I beat my head against the wall enough. Thank you to all who have encouraged me to try a meeting, I am grateful.
Oh Boy
Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this...it will be helpful to others out there thinking about trying a meeting!

Keep going back...and coming back here. It's an amazing feeling knowing we are not alone after all.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for this very valuable post!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OhBoy View Post
Finally went to my first alanon meeting last night.
Me too! And after being a lurker here for a while, your post encouraged me to post as well. I also felt nervous but was welcomed and within minutes felt a little bit of peace seeping back into my mind. I'm pondering going to another one tonight if I can work out the public transport route to it.