what does your Higher Power look like?

Old 01-07-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what does your Higher Power look like?

I know that this is very personal for everyone, but I am trying to get in touch with my higher power and am having trouble visualizing him/her/it ....

Does anyone have any tips on what they visualize when they pray to their higher power? or does it come to you eventually? Thanks all
Old 01-07-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are patron saints of alcoholism and recovery...but not codependency, I don't think...
Old 01-07-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My higher power came in the form of being there when I was in a tough situation that I didn't know how to get out of and somehow the right thing happened - just when it needed to. A feeling as though someone up there had to be looking out for you.

I have to admit though that I haven't felt my higher power around since being with the A, so I know what you mean by having trouble finding it. I really think it has something to do with when you are dealing in reality and taking care of yourself and making the right choices, it will kick in. And when you are stuck and can make a move but don't, there is no help there for you.

It's hard for me to explain - other than that
Old 01-07-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't have a lot of specifics on him/her/it.

I have a very fear aggressive dog. She is my LifeRecovery dog. She has required a lot of hard work from me over the years between vets, behavior trainers etc. Even with that said she is very, very loving and sweet to me....just not to other humans/dogs all the time.

She is one of the best things that has ever come into my life. In my flawed human way of loving I am crazy about this dog.

It hit me when I was working on my HP stuff that if I could love a flawed "being" this way, then there was a power that could love me/watch over me, even when I was a mess in the same way.

I have been comforted ever since with this idea.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
There are patron saints of alcoholism and recovery...but not codependency, I don't think...
If you are referring to actual Catholic patron saints...St Monica, the mother of St Augustine suffered for decades while praying for her alcoholic non believing spouse, and then for her son, who was living the life of self indulgence.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't visualize -- which now that I think about it is kind of strange, because I'm a very visual person. I just feel my Higher Power surround me and guide me and comfort me.

And then, of course, sometimes, I feel my Higher Power smack me over the head with a two-by-four. Not as often as I probably need it, but every once in a while.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you all. very helpful because i thought i was doing something wrong by not visualizing... i definitely can feel changes occurring though. thanks all
Old 01-11-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

George Clooney.

Just kidding!

I don't visualize either, but if I had to, it would probably look like pictures from the NASA website...I tend to lean more to the concept of God & the Universe instead of just a "higher power".
Old 01-11-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Growing up Catholic and graduated Catholic HS,
Mass, Baptism, Confirmation, Faith, God, my
Higher Power is exactly as seen in biblical movies,
Catholic stores, He sits next to me when Im
driving in my car, a distinquished figure of a Man
in His white gown, long hair neatly combed and
a full beard, sandles on His feet.

He is the distinquished Figure who sits under a
large tree with me as a small little girl sitting on
His lap.

He is my Father in Heaven who cares about me,
loves me unconditional, guides me and strengths
me daily.

He is with me ALWAYS.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

When I was first in recovery, I was very angry at the God of my childhood. I finally decided to make my recovery group my higher power. It was clear they had something I wanted, and something I could strive for.

After awhile, I learned that I could actually FIRE the God of my childhood and hire a new one. My HP today, whom I choose to call God, is loving and kind with a great sense of humor. I get what I need when I need it, and I am ever grateful for the lessons.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
I don't visualize -- which now that I think about it is kind of strange, because I'm a very visual person. I just feel my Higher Power surround me and guide me and comfort me.

And then, of course, sometimes, I feel my Higher Power smack me over the head with a two-by-four. Not as often as I probably need it, but every once in a while.
Same here. Its just a feeling when I'm in need.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
lowerfallswide.jpg (97.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

And this:
Attached Images
mountainautumn.jpg (96.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-11-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

And even this:
Attached Images
californiasister.jpg (102.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-11-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I could go on, but you get the idea. It's nature for me.....

L
Old 01-11-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nature for me, too. That's where I find peace and acceptance of change.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'd just like to express my gratitude for Al-Anon being "not a religious program but a spiritual program." I heard that early in my recovery, along with the slogan "There are no "musts" in Al-Anon." I decided that even though I had serious reservations about all the "God" talk in the program and in the 12-Steps...I'd take them at their word and wait and see.
This has allowed me time to evolve my own concept of a higher power (I'm involved in meditation with a Buddhist group and on my own as well as attending regular Al-Anon meetings). I've really feel like I've experienced a lot of growth in the past 21 months. At the same time, I've found that I just have an incredible sense of compassion for the struggles of others in their own search for conscious contact with a higher power.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't visualize it either. The closest thing to it would be color blue. That is what comes to my mind then feeling my HP.

To me HP is the universe, the forces that keep it in balance, the nature, life itself and each of us carrying that life in ourselves, as part of the universe. The closer we are to our true selves the more in tune we are with balance of universe, HP. And all of that comes to my mind as something blue and comforting. Home and peace. Just being, no need for thinking.... A bit hard to explain.