need advice

Old 01-07-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need advice

>I have been married for 42 years. I believe my husband is an alcoholic. He was in rehab 8 years ago for addiction to oxycodone and did very well. He hasn't worked in awhile and I have been supporting us for the last 15 years. I have noticed since this summer that he is drinking too much beer. He now t lies about drinking and he hides it. While I am working he goes and gets beer. He could go for a few days without drinking anything and then he will drink a 12 pack with no problem. I told him he has a problem but he denies it. What do I do? I thought about leaving him. He is not the guy I used to be married to. Money used to be no problem but for the last 15 years we don't have anything to show. He lost his job so we lost our cars and house. In a way I am numb and just want to leave but he won't make it without me. He gets disability but it isn't enough for him to survive. Please help me. I want the man I married back
>
Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, this is a great place to get help and support, we are not supposed to give advice her, but rather tell you what worked for us.

You cannot fix your husband, his drinking is not your fault, all the love in the world won't cure him.

Counseling helped me a tremendous amount, some people here will recommend al-anon, the stickies at the top of the page are a great source of information.

Please come back often and let us know how you are.

Best of luck,

Bill
Old 01-08-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Marjorie-

I also found that counseling was very helpful for me (mine specialize in addictions though that was not what brought her to me in the first place).

I also found Al-anon incredibly helpful (and managable financially).

This board, a lot of reading (from the library) about addictions was really important too.

I am glad you are here, but sorry for the reason that you are. Welcome.