Speaker Meetings - when the speaker is you!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Speaker Meetings - when the speaker is you!

Hello all,

Just thought I would share a little ESH for today. I recently shared my story at a local Alanon speaker meeting for the first time and am still buzzing about the experience. I got called at the last minute since the speaker was sick and it was one of my home meetings that I was very comfortable at; so even though I was nervous I felt very safe. It was amazing to tell my story and to see how far I have come (and have yet to go) in the three years since I starting going regularly to meetings.

I am in the middle of doing a 4th step right now and it definitely resonated with the work I am doing there. I saw things very differently when I had to tell my story out loud, both things that I have let go of, and things that I am still holding too tightly.

It was also interesting to me to notice the things I didn't include in my story, how much I was able to keep the focus on myself and not the alcoholic... It was also interesting how the peoples comments afterwards seemed more powerful to me than usual.

Just some observations from a first time speaker.

I highly recommend it for anyone who is looking for a boost to their recovery.

-Brian
Old 01-06-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good for you surferdude. I've found it very helpful and insightful as well. It's a wonderful thing and a great way to do some service work.

I love speaker meetings, and open meetings as well