Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

January 3 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 01-03-2012, 01:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

January 3 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Why do I waste my precious time and energy trying to figure out what makes an alcoholic drink – why he doesn’t consider his family, his obligations, his reputation? All I need to know is that he suffers from a disease – alcoholism, the compulsion to drink. Why shouldn’t I have compassion for him and his illness when I am so ready to feel sorry for people who have other diseases? Do I blame them? Why do I blame him? Can I cure him by reproaching him? Can I look into his heart and realize the true nature of his sufferings?

TODAY’S REMINDER

The fact that I am the spouse, child, parent or friend of an alcoholic does not give me the right to try to control him. I can only make the situation worse by treating him like an irresponsible naughty child.

“On this day I promise God and myself that I will let go of the problem which is destroying my peace of mind. I pray for detachment from the situation, but not from the suffering drinker who may be helped to find the way to sobriety through the change in my attitude and the love and compassion I am able to express.”
Old 01-03-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by MeredithD1 View Post
TODAY’S REMINDER

The fact that I am the spouse, child, parent or friend of an alcoholic does not give me the right to try to control him. I can only make the situation worse by treating him like an irresponsible naughty child.
That's the bottom line for me, right there! I used to refer to my stepson as a child or a kid....he's 30 years old. We now treat him like an autonomous, free adult. Free to make his own decisions about his life.

We may not agree with his choices, but they are his to make and it is his life.

Detachment with love is such a gift that we give ourselves!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow...such a good message for me today. Although I no longer live with AH...he made the choice to both drink and leave me....the key to my serenity is to release him with compassion, really let go....bless him on his own journey, in the face of the unbelievable pain and chaos he caused me. I must look beyond that if I am to be free.

thanks for the message...very helpful today
Old 01-03-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

“On this day I promise God and myself that I will let go of the problem which is destroying my peace of mind."

I posted this as my FB status this morning ~

Great suggestion for me to follow to keep my focus on me and my recovery!

PINK HUGS & thanks for posting!

Rita