SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   like...how manipulative are these people?! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/24460-like-how-manipulative-these-people.html)

bookworm 12-11-2003 10:14 PM

like...how manipulative are these people?!

When I realised that I needed some serious help with this disease, I went to the library and took out "The Dilemma of the Alcoholic Marriage". Inside was a little label stating that this book had been donated to the library by the local Al-Anon group. there were some phone numbers and also info. about when the meeting was - every Monday at 7.45pm, it said.

So I had this book at home by the bed. Suddenly when I came home from work on Mondays, he was always sober! Hey, I was so happy that I didn't go to the meetings. Then I started to wonder...why is he sober on Mondays only?

Oooooooooooo, I get it, he saw the label inside the book and decided he'd distract me and make happy one night a week - a Monday, as it happens. Of course, he was drunk as a skunk every other night of the week.

So sod him, I'm going to my first meeting this coming Monday whether he likes it or not.

HA!

smoke gets in my eyes 12-12-2003 08:58 AM

HA! Good for you!

Hugs,
Smoke

MindyK 12-12-2003 09:00 AM

Amazing how smart they can be about their stupidity, huh? Good for you- don't let him stop you.

12stepmarce 12-12-2003 10:30 AM

Smart gal!

osier59 12-12-2003 09:25 PM

Hurrah for you! And by the way, its a terrific book. It helped me understand a LOT, actually more about ME than about HIM.
I hope you enjoy the meeting.

HUGS
Barb

Justme57 12-12-2003 11:54 PM

I think you should add a label to the front of the book, saying that due to the interest shown, meetings are now being held each night ! Ha Ha !

HUGX
Lee

bookworm 12-14-2003 09:23 PM

As Santa would say...

..HO HO HO to that one, Lee!

Thanks for your encouragement guys - the meeting is tonight (NZ time zone) and I'M GOING TO GO.

As the wee train said, I think I can I think I can I think I can.....

myles1 12-15-2003 05:07 AM

:) :) In answer to your question they are VERY manipulative!

Ngaire

FrenchToast 12-15-2003 06:24 AM

I want to go to meetings, but I don't trust mine home with the kids. I swear mine must think I am blind, have no sense of small, or am just too stooopid to know what is going on!

Marie

phoenix 12-15-2003 07:42 AM

Originally posted by FrenchToast
I want to go to meetings, but I don't trust mine home with the kids. I swear mine must think I am blind, have no sense of small, or am just too stooopid to know what is going on!

Marie

I'd suggest finding someone to watch the kids,or taking them along if possible.The support you'll find at meetings will be well worth the effort.Chances are,there may be other moms at meetings and you could trade off watching the kids so that everyone gets to have an undisturbed meeting.There are all sorts of solutions if you just reach out :)

phoenix