New Here and Working on Letting Go.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here and Working on Letting Go.

I'm blessed to have RAH sober for 3 years now. He's done well and I'm proud and happy for him. We've slowly rebuilt our relationship and continue to work on it.
I thought our family had really gotten past most of the alcohol issues since we have faced them and worked on recovery. My RAH is the only one in his family that is sober.

But now, a whole new issues. My22yo middle daughter (who has a successful career, owns a home & lives on her own) was with her girlfriends for a girls night out at a local bar, when my A nephew who was TOTALLY wasted, tackled her, broke her collar bone and seperated her shoulder. This isn't the first time he has tackled someone. It's happened to his sisters when he's really wasted also, but he didn't hurt them other than totally pissing them off. He was kicked out of his house in May after a drunken fight with his family where his dad punched him and knocked him out. Then in June he got a DWI. He has been arrested six times in the last 5 years, all alcohol related.

My daughter had to have surgery and a titanium plate with screws and a hook to fix the dammage to the shoulder. She experienced so much pain and suffering and hasn't been able to work for two months.

No one on that side of the family has even contacted us to see how my daughter is doing. Seriously, I feel like a victim all over again....
Old 12-27-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh my bless5, what a trauma for your daughter.
Is she recovering?
Are they afraid of the legal repercussions from this latest drunken act of violence?
They should be.
If he makes a habit of getting drunk and tackling people he needs to be stopped right now.
Damn.
I am sorry they are not talking to you right now. Dont let their fear affect you.

Beth
Old 12-27-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Beth. I don't think they are worried about legal anything. He was arrested a year ago for assault because he beat someone up (while drunk), but they dropped the charges. He's under house arrest for 10 days because of the DWI. His family thinks he's acting like an average 22yo guy. It's very sad.

My daughter hopes to go back to work next week. She goes back to the surgeon on Friday, so we'll see. She hasn't been able to work for two months and her job is commission based, so... no work, no income. She will have surgery again in April to remove the titanium plate, so she will again have medical bills.

It's a very different feeling to be this type of victim of alcohol abuse...
Old 12-27-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is sad, because this is how people die. I had a friend killed by a drunk driver, a 3 time repeat DWI. Incredible! Still driving, drunk, no license.
My friend is gone forever.
It is strange to be in this position. Odd and dislocated.
I understand. Feeling a bit that way myself lately.
I will be thinking only positive thoughts for your daughter, and hope the young man or his family get a grip on reality soon.

Beth
Old 12-27-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss. Such senseless loss of life. It is so sad. It sounds strange, but when I was dealing with my husband and his alcoholism, through alot of recovery work, I learned I had choices and had options which made me feel somewhat empowered. With this, I just really feel like my family is a victim. It's a very different place to be and a very helpless feeling in a different way than before.

I feel he's a ticking time bomb and his family is in such denial that he won't have a chance at recovery.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

bless5, it truly is an evil disease that just grips anyone who is nearby, i'm so sorry that your daughter has had to go through such pain I'll be praying for her, your family as well as this young man.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you fedup3. I'm really working to get past this, but don't know if I'm going to be able to do it.