Recovery and living with another drinker

Old 12-13-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery and living with another drinker

My brother-in law has been in and out of mostly detoxes and short rehab stints for the last 2 years. Now he has quit or lost his job. Who knows what the truth is on that. He is losing his house as well. His other brother and his wife have offered to take him in to live with them in their pretty small apartment. They are pretty into drinking wine. I would say this is an everyday thing with them. my question is it realistic for someone to move forward in recovery while being around alcohol like this. The one brother says, "well he will just have to deal with being around alcohol". Anyone have experiences with this working. It seems like it will just be a matter of time till he starts drinking again if he is always around it. Thoughts?
Old 12-14-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Welcome...my thoughts...no, this will not work.

Read around the family and friends boards, and don't forget the stickies!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Skipper

Not helpful to recovery, especially early recovery (within first year, but preferably within first 5 years)
Old 12-14-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I live with people who drink a lot everyday, and it has not been a problem for me. The thing is, is that I want NOTHING MORE in the world than to be sober. If your brother-in-law really wants sobriety, then he will achieve it. For me, if anything, watching the people around me disgusts me, and makes it easier to stay sober.