Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

December 13 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 12-13-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

December 13 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Let us imagine a person coming into Al-Anon despairing and confused by the havoc wrought by alcoholism. She finds warm friendship from people willing to share their time, thought and experience with her. She gets Al-Anon literature and studies it. Finally she learns how to achieve serenity in the midst of turmoil. Her life gets better. Much has been done for her in Al-Anon.

Has she an obligation to the group, to the fellowship, and to the newcomers who need her help? The obvious answer is Yes. The real answer is No. She is not required to pay back in kind for any of the benefits she has had. Her only obligation is to herself; she owes herself the continued growth she will derive from giving to others what she has received.

TODAY’S REMINDER

Sharing enriches my life. Even when I serve the group as an officer, or do the small chores at meetings, it is wholesome therapy. I have a need to comfort and guide the troubled newcomer, because it gives me new insight into my own still faulty attitudes.

“At no point in my life will I achieve perfection; there will never be a time when I will not need the joy and satisfaction of helping others.”