Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

December 12 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 12-12-2011, 12:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

December 12 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

How great is the human need for a scapegoat, someone or something to blame for our disappointments. “If she hadn’t done that, this wouldn’t have happened.” – “Why couldn’t he have done what I expected?” – “It’s all her fault!”

I must realize that every time I feel someone has offended or injured me, at least part of my unhappiness is due to the way I reacted. Actually I am not so vulnerable to being hurt, by circumstances or the actions of other people, as I think I am. Much that happens to me, good or bad, is self-created.

TODAY’S REMINDER

If I am convinced that I am to a large extent, “the captain of my soul,” I can more readily accept the fact that I have the power to ward off misfortunes, disappointments and other troubles. Blaming others for what happens to me would keep me at a spiritual standstill.

“Nothing can work damage to me except myself; the harm that I sustain I carry about with me and never am a real sufferer except by my own fault.” – (Ralph Waldo Emerson: Essay on Compensation)