Do I have to obey everything he says?

Old 12-10-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gig

Do I have to obey everything he says?

here's a good one, maybe someone has a similar situation they are dealing with. on saturdays my grandson and his friends play music. they are all gifted musicians, very very professional and they were so happy that i provided them a place to play and practice. my AH told me this morning that under no circumstances could they come today... (He wants to catch up on his drinking this weekend since he didn't drink all week after a 4 day binge ending last sunday). I WAS LIVID is an understatement but I told him he'd have to let my grandson know. He's tried to do this every weekend; last weekend I stood up to him and he got smashed while they were here. I wanted to stand up to him today but so worn out fighting him.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It is just as much your home as it is his, so if you want to allow the guys to come over and play, then so do. He's going to do whatever he is going to do anyway.

Have you considered attending al-anon meetings? You could use some face-to-face support from others dealing with the same issues. I hope you'll consider it so you can learn to detach from his actions.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

My answer to your question would be no. You do not have to obey everything he says.

I think it is a nice thing you have done to allow your grandson and his friends to have a place to be able to flourish in their music abilities. That gives them a bonding, a sense of belonging, and something to look forward to. It is your place too, and I don't think it is too much to ask of your AH to give up that one day for the grandson.