SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Need a book (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/242794-need-book.html)

stepsforward 12-05-2011 12:54 PM

Need a book

I am looking for some reading for my recovery. I read Codependent No More and loved it. thanks

PurpleWilder 12-05-2011 01:41 PM

Iyanla Van Zant - "In the Meantime" (regular book) and "Until Today" (daily reader)

Pelican 12-05-2011 02:13 PM

"You Can Heal Your Life" by Louise Hay

Learn2Live 12-05-2011 02:28 PM

Harville Hendrix.

Willybluedog 12-05-2011 02:33 PM

Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsh, changed my relationship with God and saved my life!

LaTeeDa 12-05-2011 05:41 PM

When I was learning how to live my life in a less painful, more productive way, I read dozens of self-help books. While some resonated more than others, I found that they basically all said many of the same things.

One that made a huge difference for me was "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle.

L

LifeRecovery 12-05-2011 05:45 PM

I LOVE "The Language of Letting Go," also by Melody Beattie. It is a daily reader, but it always seems to strike a cord with me.

jOSE2 12-06-2011 05:26 AM

I too have read quite a few books on my journey of self discovery,

If your an ACoA - is 'It Will Never happen To Me' by Claudia Black(gosh' this really helped me)
The Road Less Travelled-forgot authors name
The Enabler- by Angelyn Miller

At the moment am reading The Gift of Fear-by Gavin De Becker(thats only because I have at this time a persistant XAH who doesnt want to let go)

Most of the other books as above I have read too, and all are good reads.

Happy reading !

stepsforward 12-06-2011 09:11 AM

Thanks everyone

SoaringSpirits 12-06-2011 01:36 PM

"Lit: A Memoir" by Mary Karr is a memoir written by a recovering alcoholic. It really helped me get a sense for what it's like to be an alcoholic.

"Under The Influence" is a must read, too.

Willybluedog 12-06-2011 02:52 PM

Jose2,

The gift of fear is an excellent book for everyone to read regardless of circumstances, it encourages you to find your inner voice, your animal instinct, fight or flight etc. it really encourages you to listen to what your body is telling you, the hair stands up on the back of your neck for a reason, we have forgotten millions of years of conditioning on how to protect ourselves from danger whether it be lions and tigers and bears (oh my) or human predators.

Everyone, please read this book, they always have it at the dollar store, it is an excellent gift for your older children, especially if the are moving out (going away to college etc.).

jOSE2 12-06-2011 04:00 PM

Thank you Willybluedog,it is a wonderful book,

All best wishes
Jose2