Lakeside-Milan center

Old 12-04-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lakeside-Milan center

I was wondering if any spouses have gone to Lakeside-Milan rehab center in Kirkland, WA. My wife attended twice and is now back to full blown drinking. I am just wondering if there are any success stories out there. I don't really know what to do now besides getting a divorce. Thanks Doug
Old 12-04-2011, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm not familiar with that particular facility, but no facility on earth can keep a person sober if that person wants to drink. They are provided tools to use to combat cravings and helpful advice on how to live a sober life, but they, themselves, have to want that more than anything. Otherwise, it's just wasted time and money.

There are many success stories out there. This site is full of alcoholics who have managed to give up the drink and learn to live happy, productive lives. It can be done, but, again, the alcoholic has to be the one who wants it.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

XAH went to Lakeside-Milam March 2010. He relapsed that May. Stopped drinking (so he says - I wasn't in the immediate vicinity any longer, tho I suspect he did white knuckle it for a while). He relapsed again this past October. Is possibly white knuckling it again. Because he still doesn't 'have a problem'.

I know in XAH's case, he simply went to rehab because he was afraid he'd lose his job, his wife and son, and his GF, and his older sister forced him to go. Short of it is, he wasn't ready, so it didn't work for him.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My ex went to Hazelden in Minnesota, twice. It is considered one of the very top rehab facilities in the world (and having stayed there for the family program I agree it is a wonderful, caring place). Celebrities have gone there. Many of the addicts staying with him were wealthy, successful and while sober, lovely people. I had HIGH hopes. He came home and drank almost immediately, even though his counselors and everyone else thought he was doing "great!"

The fact is, if you don't want to drink anymore, you can do it anywhere. If you don't want to quit, the best rehabs in the world probably aren't going to change anything.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ex went to accelerated in Atlanta for a two week program followed by skips sessions weekly. He came back and was sober for just a few weeks before he started again. Che went back for a another week, then back home where he continues to drink a few, then go back to a binge. He is not honest with his counselors during calls and skype sessions. Oddly he chose this place because they had just alcoholics, had private rooms and private therapies and it was semioutpatient so you could go out at night.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know it doesn't matter where they go, it is up to them to stay sober. I am just torn up my wife cannot stay sober. I just want my wife back. The only thing left is to finally call it quits and let her go, hopefully she can someday recover and be part of the kid's life.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am truly sorry to hear that you're going through all this, electricalguru. My wife went to Lakeside-Milan, and fool that I was, I came and "rescued" her before she ran off in the rain. Several years later I found the strength to send her out of my life. I still love her more than I can tell you, but it's up to her to find the way out of her addiction. We're in the midst of divorce now, but I'd take her back in a second, er, five years of being sober and finding a sponsor and working the steps while I do the same thing at Al-Anon. Anything less than that, and possibly even with that, and we're all kidding ourselves. Alcoholism is stronger than all of us put together, as hard as it is to admit, especially when it involves children. Gain your own health; there's nothing better than that! Good luck, and stay in this forum as it truly helps, but get yourself to the closest Al-Anon meeting as fast as you can, and be honest when you do it.