Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

December 4 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 12-04-2011, 12:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

December 4 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Some of us come to Al-Anon to find out why the alcoholic drinks. We’re afraid it’s because “….he doesn’t love me anymore,” or because something we have done or are doing is upsetting him and making him drink.

We are much relieved to learn that alcoholism is an illness. It is also helpful, however, to know that the very things we have been doing may have hindered recovery from this illness.

With the best of intentions, we have been trying to cure it by treating it as deliberately willful and wicked. We are told that anything we do to humiliate and blame the alcoholic only increases his guilt or reinforces his claim that we are at fault. This teaches us the immense value of a hands-off policy. It is hard to come by, but it works wonders!

TODAY’S REMINDER

I will not waste thought on exploring the reasons why the alcoholic drinks. Al-Anon answers that I can cope with my problems effectively by changing my thinking about them, correcting my own mistaken attitudes, and allowing the alcoholic to take care of his own problem.

“I ask God to help me on the course that will change my life for the better.”