Don't worry about the future?

Old 11-30-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't worry about the future?

My Dad went through a bunch of counseling, AA, medication, etc for his addictions but all he seemed to get out of it was to live for today and not worry about the future. That's what they told him... but he obviously took it the wrong way because now he's spending all my parent's money, drinking, doing whatever because he thinks it's making him happier right now and doesn't care what it'll mean for the future. Whenever my Mom asks about trying to save money so they can survive (they are both retired), he just says "I'm not supposed to worry about the future". Is there some way we can explain this whole "live for today" idea is bad?
Old 11-30-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

it's not Live for today - it's "Just for today"
which is a totally different concept. . .

It's about not borrowing problems, worries and stresses from tomorrow, facing what you have to deal with TODAY, it's about not putting off til tomorrow what you could do today, it's about being responsible, kind and loving today instead of saying "I'll call that person tomorow"

or at least that's my understanding and the way I use the slogan "Just for Today" or "One Day at a Time"

But Sarsh - if he is in the depths of his disease - he will hear things the way he wants to hear them ~ I have heard alcoholics & addicts "use" the program to say it's ok for them to steal, lie, cheat, etc because it's what's "good" for them today and helps them stay "sober".

From my understanding from people truly working a program "sober" isn't just about not drinking or using - it's about changing your life, your actions and your thought process.

Until your dad is ready to hear the program, accept it and truly work it - he will probably do like most - use it to help him continue on his downward spiral ~

You are doing the best thing you can - continue to seek answers and help yourself in dealing with this stuff!

Don't mean that to be harsh - just speaking from the experience I have in dealing with the addicts & alcoholics I have had in my life

Prayers & good thoughts for you & your family!

PINK HUGS,
Rita