In such a good place right now...

Old 11-30-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile In such a good place right now...

I remember the dark day last January when I found this forum. It seems amazing that almost an entire year has gone by and what my Mom promised me at the time has happened (damn she is a smart woman!). I can look back and realize not only did I survive but my life has turned out better than I could imagine back then.

My girls are healthy and happy...sure we have the trivial teenager issues but its not anything I can't handle. My oldest had the best 18th birthday this month! Her Dad flew up here to surprise her at school...we had the whole thing set up beforehand...it was awesome! And I learned that one cupcake per teenager is not enough! It was bittersweet to be doing that again for her, given it will be the last time I bring her cupcakes to school. And she bought a car with her own money and her Dad financed it with her so she will make the payments each month. She is so proud of herself! And I am proud of her Dad, for doing such a wonderful thing for our daughter. He's fallen down in the Dad department many times, and this was a major step back in the right direction.

My promotion came through and was approved last week. Right before my 40th birthday, which was in itself the best birthday present ever. I am still pinching myself about it - its an amazing HUGE step in my career. HUGE!

My house is warm and cozy and my bills are paid. The dogs are happy, and the puppy just got spayed so she's been a bit more calm than usual while she heals. We've got tons of snow and it is gorgeous outside. I cooked a kick-a** turkey this Thanksgiving - has anyone brined one before? AMAZING! And I got to spend the rest of the day sledding with my nephews.

And lastly, my RAH and I have reached a - well, I am calling it the "stay of execution" - and setting the divorce papers aside. Calling a truce. Stopping the madness of hurt feelings and anger to simply approach our relationship in a calm, realistic fashion. We are meeting with a new marriage counselor on Monday; its the one thing we haven't tried since last winter and he was so newly sober and I was so stinking angry that it was an epic fail. I don't know how I feel about it all - but instead of dwelling on it and obsessing daily, I am choosing instead of focus on the rest of my life and view this situation as one where "more is to be revealed".

Life is good. And I can't tell you all how great it is to say that out loud and mean it this time. My life is really good and I can handle whatever comes my way. It is really true - the statement that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Happy holidays, all! May you find some peace and serenity during this holiday season, even if you have to force your way to it. I am putting the figurative bubble around my life this month and not letting anyone or anything wreck my serenity and Christmas spirit. And I am truly thankful to now have the tools in my tool box to be able to do that successfully and appropriately.

Peace! ~T
Old 11-30-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

T

Congrats on the Promotion!

What a great blessing for your daughter - Teenages + cupcakes = never enough!! ha ha ha

Wishing the best for you and your AH - whatever that may be!! Sounds like you have the best attitude toward it - no matter what happens - YOU will be OK!

Enjoy the Holidays & a Merry PINK Christmas to you & yours!

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 11-30-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Aw Tuffgirl... I'm so glad to read about your recovery and see your great attitude!
Old 11-30-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the awesome post.

Recovery is the best gift we can give ourselves.

Your jolly friend,
Old 11-30-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for a beautiful post!

It is so great to read about people finding happiness in their recovery!!!

HUGS
Old 11-30-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chaotically Peaceful

Wonderful update, TG!! It sounds like you are choosing to focus on all the good things life has to offer, not dwelling on what you can't change and feeling strong. So happy for you!!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

GREAT!!!! I love to read positive post. Nice to know it works it you work it
Old 11-30-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, it does work when we work it! Such a great way of putting it.

Funny how when I decided to change - everything else changed along with me.

Someone posted here the quote: When you change how you look at things, the things you look at change (Wayne Dyer).

So true!
Old 11-30-2011, 12:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tuffgirl, Congrats on the promotion!! I am glad to see you are recovering. It is nice to read positive news.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations to you on so many levels! You are such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing!
Old 11-30-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

At least three wonderful posts of recovery in the last 24hr (including this one) has done my heart good.

thanks for sharing.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wonderful. Thank you for sharing the good stuff! May you and your family enjoy even more happiness!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Funny what one year can do.....Good for you!
Old 12-01-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Love it! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations and what a miracle life is! I am saving your post to read to my son who is in his first 30 days of residential rehab for heroin. This is a blessing for all of us!
Hugs and best wishes
TT