Holiday survival thread - RANT

Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

We love Christmas at my house - always have, no matter what. The decorations, baking, music...lots of great Christmas memories.

But with a puppy in the house - and she is such a sweetie and we are happy we decided to adopt her - I can't imagine getting out many decorations this year, especially a tree. I don't have the space to really cordon one off, so am considering going with a small tabletop version instead. And I could set the big one up (its fake) in the yard and put some lights on it!

Anvil - you crack me up - yes my dogs would think I was the greatest dog Mom ever if I brought them big sticks right into their space instead of making them go out and get them... LOL!

TC, sorry to hijack; I could take this to the Whiners thread instead! But I think Christmas is what we make of it, and we can choose to not let bad memories or crazy family and their dysfunction ruin the holiday spirit for us. Or even crazy puppies!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks all for your input, I am getting something out of every post.
I was thinking about trees and maybe I get one-a cat tree! I know my cats would enjoy one very much so perhaps Santa claus does indeed arrive to my house
Old 12-02-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks especially to jds, I guess its the pressure of "having to enjoy and celebrate" WHEN in reality it can be a daily thing, I guess its that pressure of doing something superspecial and HAVING to have a good time, what I dislike about these weeks

In any case still taking it one day at a time...
Old 12-04-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Lol anvilhead

Well my holiday rant is turning to a "I love Christmas/life in general" thread LOL. This grinch spent Saturday afternoon helping to set up a Christmas tree. I had a great time with my friend. And seeing her baby look at the tree gave me a warm feeling. Then I thought about Christmas punch and thought "ok its not ALL bad". I happen to have approx. 8,456,342 Nordic punch preparations (apple, cinnamon, clove..) which are so incredibly tasty and wonderful...

Then I remembered my distant "adopted" girls in Uganda and thought it was time for Santa claus to arrive for them, so am paying for their next school semester and gifts for the end of the year.

Not a bad time to reconnect with my dad either, after all the anger/sadness/resentment I also realize some good qualities (didnīt even made an effort, those good feelings arrived organically) so that is a great gift for myself, make the same old jokes with him and just update him a bit abt my life.

Now my RANT is turning to "life is wonderful!" LOL.

LTD thanks for the reminder about others or external stuff not having the power to make us miserable, I forgot the Codie hat does not suit me anymore, so I am trading it for a "Enjoy today and be grateful and take care of YOU" hat. Ah! much better.

SR friends: you are awesome!
Old 12-16-2011, 03:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Feeling down tonight as I won't be seeing any family for Xmas -

EX BF wants to do something with me - ended up in amicable terms , recently he contacted me again - yeah right, I remember 2 years ago he planned NOTHING and expected me to cook and entertain him. I prefer to be alone thanks.

A 'girlfriend' invited me over her house but she is two-faced and I am done with this kind of people.

So getting sad as it will be I and the cats and not sure if anything special for the night, and this reminds me of Xmas by my Mom, where she was depressed and planned nothing and went to sleep early and here I am doing the SAME thing. Not sure if I can but the cat tree for kitties this month, need to save $$...

Then its mixed with my almost-30 crises and going "given my independence and personality I might as well spend all my life this way, like a crazy cat lady with freedom but also without home warmth and all that stuff"

Thanks for letting me vent and express my current feelings tonight/
Old 12-16-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

So don't spend it alone. Go do something. Volunteer. Go to church. You'd be amazed at how much actually happens on Xmas.

There's always other options. Remember my post at the top about not having a Xmas tree because of this darn puppy? Well, I bought a $13 Fiber Optic 32 in tree at Wal Mart. If she eats it one day - fine. But now we have a tree and its one we can laugh at. I created a memory that we'll cherish regardless of what is really happening underneath it all.

When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

LOL - Can't help but post this here - it seems so fitting. This is from Meredith's One Day at a Time posts.

Changing our whole way of thinking is a monumental task, not to be taken lightly. But many thousands of members can testify that it's the most rewarding and self-serving activity ever devised for curing sick family relationships!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I watched this TED talk yesterday. It really brightened my spirits and yet touched on some things I still need to work on. I think it fits here.

Brene Brown: The power of vulnerability | Video on TED.com

L
Old 12-16-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Originally Posted by jds0401 View Post
I dislike the holidays (and December in general) with a passion if that helps....here are all the things I dislike :
  • fake happy people competing to see whose family is the "happiest"
  • fattening food everywhere, people competing to see who bakes the best
  • songs droning on over and over and over
  • people spending money on stuff they don't have trying to prove they are the "best" and the "happiest"
  • wasting time putting up a tree instead of working and the tree being unappreciated and really just more work than it is worth
  • cooking a meal no one appreciates but one they do "expect"
  • cleaning up said meal
  • time off work...ummm...no I do not want to spend time at home with the AH
  • TRAFFIC...I'm sorry but no it is not fun to sit four hours in traffic to wait in some ridiculous mall line for a gift I can't afford to give to someone who doesn't want it.
  • Rude people...holidays == rude people everywhere
  • judgement - for me holidays are about being judged on how "successful" I've been at having a family
  • feeling obligated to participate in this "holiday"

I could go on and on....HOWEVER this is what I'm doing differently this year:
  • I am NOT putting up a tree...enough already, I'm busy and if no one is going to help or participate and if they are going to expect it I will not do it
  • I am NOT buying presents (other than a Kindle for myself). I will tell people that $$ is tight this year and politely ask them not to buy me anything as well, if they don't respect that that's on them.
  • I am NOT cooking...no - I'm tired of cooking and cleaning for others who put forth no effort to help.
  • Right after "Christmas" (or maybe before I haven't decided) I will be leaving the state to our vacation home alone for the rest of my holiday so I can spend it in peace and serenity.

...Oh PS - what I would give to not be married. 30 is still young!!
HALELUJAH SISTER!!!! (or however you spell it). It's fake and ridiculous and teaches THE WRONG message to children and society in general. It's immediate gratification and getting stuff you don't need, for work you did not do, just because you WANTED it. Call me the Grinch, I don't care, and in fact believe that the Grinch and all that were CREATED to get me to BUY STUFF in the first place. And all the people going to parties, getting drunk, arguing and causing accidents is ridiculous. And shameful. Plus, has anyone noticed that MOST of the world does NOT celebrate Christmas? Hello? It's supposed to be about Jesus and good will but it's nothing to do with that and EXCLUDES so many people, makes them feel left out and bad during the holidays. Oh don't get me started.

And DITTO on the 30 and not married! Count your blessings TC! And haha 30 is NOT OLD, it is YOUNG!! And your 30s are YOUR BEST DECADE! You will look your best, feel your best, accomplish your best, in your thirties! OUT with the old, emotional, unsure twenties, and IN with the confident, gorgeous, accomplished thirties!!!! I am so excited for you TakingCharge!!!
Old 12-16-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

You are so not alone in your feelings.
I'm with family, but I feel left out and out of place.
Lose/lose-double bind for me.
(((cyber hugs))))
Old 12-16-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Originally Posted by cymbal View Post
I'm with family, but I feel left out and out of place.
Lose/lose-double bind for me.
This is exactly what I mean. I had this Norman Rockwell painting idea of what XMas was supposed to be like, so I'd buy the tree, the trimmings, the gifts, try to gather people around, try to get family to act like people act in the pictures, like people act on TV, like people act in the movies, like I think people act down the street, and guess what? It doesn't work. The family and the people in my life will just not participate. Or cooperate. And even when they do, it feels empty, or it's "ruined" by something. And I think everyone ELSE has that, and I'm disappointed, why can't I have that too?

But come to find out, NO, not everyone else has that and in fact what they do have is so filled with dysfunction it's amazing I fooled myself for so long believing THAT was what was SUPPOSED TO be, what I was SUPPOSED TO have.

Expectations.

Now, I am more realistic, more grounded, and if I have the time and extra money to do something special, I DO, but not just on one particular day of the year, but ANY day of the year.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Well, I got some punch I can prepare. Humm- right now in fact.

Yes, thatīs all I will do today. Watch Law and order, get some punch, keep on uncluttering my home. Take a bath. Keep on preparing paperwork for my degree. Catch up with work. Cath up with sleep.

Thanks friends. Christmas is a difficult time. But last year I spent it "happily" with some people and now I realize all of them are hypocrites. So I could be around snakes or I could be with ,well , me , loll and the cats and perhaps a couple of friends. Real friends..

Thanks all for your support SR friends. It means a lot - you get it. God bless you!
Old 12-17-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Here is a list of holidays still left in December we could celebrate - I especially like the plunger one...

Credit - MentalFloss.com

5. December 17th: Underdog Day
Today is the day to honor the unsung heroes, the folks in second place and the men/women behind the men/women. This holiday was reportedly created in 1976 and inspired by Dr. Watson, Sherlock Holmes’ faithful sidekick. Some reports claim the holiday is on 19th or the 21st. Maybe you just make next week Underdog Week.

6. December 18th: National Wear a Plunger on Your Head Day
Allegedly there once was a Hallmark card for National Wear a Plunger on Your Head Day, therefore it must be a real holiday. If you choose to celebrate, let’s everyone agree to use new plungers.

7. December 20th: Louisiana Purchase Day
On this day in 1803, France officially relinquished its control of New Orleans to the United States, thus giving America over 800,000 square miles of new territory. The Louisiana Purchase did not actually include what we know today as the entire state of Louisiana; only the territory west of the Mississippi, as Spain still had ownership of the rest of it.

8. December 22nd: The Shortest Day of the Year
For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, December 22nd is the shortest day of the year — the day when the Earth’s axial tilt is farthest away from the sun. While there’s no official ceremonial observance, it is believed that mystical structures such as Stonehenge and Newgrange were built with the sunrise and set of winter solstice in mind. And for all the Jim Henson fans out there, you can awaken the Great Bell at the center of Fraggle Rock by giving gifts and ringing tiny bells.

9. December 22nd: Head to Plymouth for Forefathers’ Day
Observed primarily in Plymouth, Massachusetts, since the late 1700s, Forefathers’ Day commemorates the Pilgrims landing on Plymouth Rock in 1620. The traditional celebratory dish served for Forefathers’ Day is Plymouth Succotash, with corned beef, fowl, salt pork, beans, potatoes and green-top turnips.

10. December 23rd: A Day to Air All Grievances
Then of course, there’s always Festivus for the rest of us. Invented by fictional Seinfeld character Frank Costanza, this secular holiday that involves gathering around an aluminum pole and airing out your grievances has continued to gain a following since its introduction in 1997. If you haven’t seen the episode, there’s an entire website that spells out how to celebrate Festivus from start to finish.

11. December 26th: Alms for the Poor and Goals for the Soccer Players
Boxing Day may have been inspired by King Wenceslas, who one December 26th decided to gather up all of his leftover food, wine and gifts and bequeath them to a peasant. While he inspired the holiday, it is believed the Church of England technically founded it. There’s also speculation that it happened to be the day aristocrats give presents to their servants, and Boxing Day evolved from there. Today, Boxing Day has no real religious connotation and is more of an extra day off to drink and watch sports. Nonetheless it is still a national holiday in the UK and many countries once part of the British Empire
Old 12-17-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

LOL, I like the plunger holiday too. Sorry I missed it this year.

This is SO childish, but I feel sad about not having a Christmas tree this year. There's just no point in buying a tree, dragging into the house and setting it up just for me to look at (although the cats like to sit under it). My only child is on the other side of the world and won't be home until January and nobody ever comes to my house (don't know many people around here and my only local friend is allergic to cats, lol). I'm also having a problem with my shoulder so even if it made any sense to get a tree, I'd have a hard time getting it off the car and in the house by myself anyway.

I'll be spending Christmas with my 83-year-old mother. We'll probably go out to dinner, unless any of my sibs are planning to come over to her house on Christmas in which case we might cook.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good thread! Last year I was still carrying around some massive expectations and wanted so badly to have the illusion of the perfect christmas. Blew up in my face. AH wasn't in the mood and we picked up a tree a the nursery while rushed. He grudgingly helped me get it up, then checked out to go make lunch. I put on some xmas music and had my 3yr old try to help with decorations. Nagged at him to come and be festive which of course didn't work. 3 yr old made a mess and tangle of all the decorations. Nagged at AH some more about this being a family time. Got into an argument and he receded into the garage. Finally got a hold of myself, and daughter and I went outside to play in the snow. AH joined us and it was better. He said he just wasn't a festive sort of guy and I apologized for trying to force things.

This year I am better. I have let go of old and rigid expectations. And here is what happened. Suggested we go to our local farm to cut our own tree. Suggested a day, AH agreed. Got our snowsuits, beautiful day. Horse-drawn wagon to the Christmas tree field amidst a light snow. Wonder and joy watching my daughter run through the trees and eat fresh snow off the branches. Picked our favourite. Farm salvages the stumps by leaving a branch on that grows another tree, so feel better about cutting one.

Back to the farm - visit with the barnyard animals. Sip hot chocolate and cider by the stove and check out the artisans selling beautiful handmade work. Watch our tree get packed up for us and laughing as we struggle to get it in the door. No nagging, no nothing. Today daughter and I will decorate, if AH does or doesn't, won't matter.

Because my daughter (now 4) LOVES carols, turn on the xmas station in the car and we both sing. AH doesn't know any words, oh well, his loss. When cooking dinner, same thing, radio on, us laughing and singing and dancing. My daughter comes to my room every morning (after AH already left for work) and we peek through the blinds waiting for the snow. Enjoying her enjoyment of the simplest things.

This year everyone is at my place - so happy that both sets of grandparents will be here for at least a week to spend time with my daughter. Although others are contributing, taking care to make a dinner with organic, natural ingredients (believe in real food!!) to nourish those whom I love. For the women in my life, sister, mother, mil, sil, bought my favourite organic tea, each with a label that reflects the woman (i.e. peace, love, cleanse, comfort) as well as one magazine that they enjoy. Who can beat a warm cup of tea, curling up with a fave magazine? Inexpensive but meaningful. I had a wonderful time writing a Santa letter with my daughter, and a rush of excitement selecting the gifts she asked for, anticipating her reaction when she gets to open them.

I am cherishing every moment of a holiday that could otherwise be stressful. AH is ok but still struggles, my sister is very sick, I will have a full house etc but I choose not to give any energy to those things. It is what I make it, and this year I have really had the holidays of my dreams. It's amazing what has room to shine when we take away the expectations.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:35 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Having a hard time today. Christmas+New year+30th birthday and I feel quite lonely.

The two "closest" people I have known are not people I can trust 100%, finally stop listening to their words and saw their actions, so
I am distancing myself from them. REALLY good friends are away at my home city. Woe is me! tomorrow is the last day of the year and I just feel like a failure in every aspect.. not helping is the fact I am back to knee rehab, feeling pain again and its been months and it will take many more months.. so yes, it has been hard.

I saw one "friend" tonight and was telling him about these issues .. he told me "it was nothing" I guess he wanted to say none are real PROBLEMS, (life threatening or something) but all I felt was someone dismissing my experience and not listening and I made a mental note: this person cannot offer me empathy.

Anyway I am planning to go to a meditation session on Monday at the Tibet house, hopefully that will help. New year-nothing special but I will make sure I go out of the apartment carrying a backpack and luggage, so I can travel next year... that is the superstition...

Thanks for letting me share not the most festive attitude I know , just trying to accept my feelings and realize I donīt "HAVE TO" feel anything just because its some specific day... better luck for the Chinese New year!!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:56 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

:ghug3
:day2

Maybe this year, you are "in between" - leaving all that chaos and dysfunction behind, getting ready to discover some wonderful healthy new contacts/friends, and just needing a period of quiet and white space "in between" so later you will really enjoy what's coming.

Yeah, that's it!

Happy Birthday!

CLMI
Old 12-30-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I agree with the optimism of catlovermi. You have such a great opportunity to begin a new life with new challenges and new successes. 30 is the best age to be, take it from someone who was there decades ago. Close your eyes... envision a long country road with an glimmering, diffused bright light on the horizon. You can get there and see what that magic light holds for you. Have a wonder-filled 2012! Peace
Old 12-30-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks friends, the funk continues today but just taking it one day at a time... one hour at a time. Thanks for your support I really appreciate all your words and perspective.
CLMI sorry for the confusion my bday is in January but I feel it "close" !!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Well a "friend" had invited me to her home but I exercised my right to say "no" and I feel very good for not spending the new year with someone who is not that great after all (long story but she has gossiped ridiculous stuff about me).

I was a grinch all day but now at night I started to go "ok well.. its not that bad... I am with the ones I love, my cats... some punch... my favorite dessert... at least not loud music, not dealing with any drunkards..."

Then I get a message from one of the roomies downstairs (she rents an office) and asks me if I have an issue with her having a "reunion" here .... SIGH...
I said OK...
Now I will be listening to drunks downstairs...

I just really need my own home.. and it will be so peaceful and without alcohol.. SIGH...
Time for some earplugs. Anyway I am not in such a bad mood -I mean they might be drunk or whatever, but NO ONE will be yelling at me, or insulting ME, so its all good anyway, for ME at least...

I just want these holidays to be over!! anyway something good that I did today, I took care of the bamboo plant downstairs, maybe some yoga tomorrow, and I made an internal resolution for new year : take better care of the living beings at home, plants, pets and myself...