I am a new member who has a question

Old 11-26-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am a new member who has a question

Hi everyone, I found this site quite by accident, but it was meant to be. My husband who has a drinking problem his whole life finnally ended up with bleeding ulcers in Aug was in ICU for a week and came home and started to going to an out patient program for Alcoholsim. Before he got sick for a few months he smelled like yeast, for which I thought was his drinking coming out of his pores, since he stoped I do not smell this anymore. Until the last week or so. Now of course I am asking if that could be alcohol I asked him if he has started drinking and of course he said no. But I still can smell this yeasty smell.
He has been doing very, very well, but yet there is this doubt. He knows if he drinks he could die because his liver was also affected at the time of the ICU visit which since has gotten better.

Can anyone offer me words of wisdom?

Thank you,

Sue
Old 11-26-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I would suggest that you go to Alanon meetings and read Codependent No More...good starting point.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family, BTB!

Please pull out the keyboard and make yourself at home by reading and posting as much as needed.

I am not sure what the odor is you are smelling, and I will not be able to assure you he is/is not drinking.
Someone with experience in that may be along later to share their information.

In the meantime, I recommend checking out the forum. At the top are some older permanent posts (called stickies) that contain some of our stories and loads of wisdom.

I also discovered this place by stumbing upon it while doing research online. It has been a valuable tool in helping me find my serenity.

Let us know how we can help you. You are not alone.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dollydo and Pelican,
Thank you both for replying to my post. I will look into both suggestions. I have gone two a couple of meetings with him and have learned alot and read his books, but after being married for over 37 years and trying to hide his drinking so nobody would not like him (he really is a good person) But has the disease, I keep so much to my self and have for years. I am so glad to find a place I can share with others.
Thank you,
susie
Old 11-26-2011, 10:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Search google for some ideas on the odor....

Your not no different than alot of us..We all tend to hide ourselves away for years..
It's easier to keep & hide a drunk at home.
Just like it's easier to take kid's to McDonald's rather than taking them to fine dining.

We all loved our spouses alot...but it's sad to say, "alcoholism has ate my xah away"
He is not the same person I married. That person is gone.

Sounds like it is time for you to LIVE...Set yourself free, Laugh & Love once again...
Find some new girlfriends, at a Alanon class, church, somewhere..Get out and LAUGH!!!
Life is too dang short, to babysit someone who chooses to sit around and smell like
yeast and kill himself in a bottle...

Flip your hormones around, get dressed up like a movie star tomorrow, go shopping in a prom dress......LIVE & LAUGH....There is so much more out there in life...Go find it!!!
Old 11-27-2011, 05:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I am sharing one of my favorite sticky posts with you.

This link contains excerpts from the book "Under the Influence". I read the excerpts and had a lightbulb moment. I bought the book and read it cover to cover. It explains how some people become addicted to substances (alcohol/drugs). It explains how the addiction affects the addict's mind, body and soul. Alcohol affects every cell of their body.

That information helped me understand how truly powerless I was over my loved ones addiction.

Here is the link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

There may be some info in the book about the odor. (sorry, I don't have my copy anymore as I loaned it out)
Old 11-27-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

men can have yeast and in fact my RA is taking medication for it now. I do believe that he is predisposed to it but he went on a bender about 6 months ago and it got way out of control with his consumption of huge amounts of beer and very little food.

It can be very hard to get rid of and my RA has been battling his yeast problem for months now with little success. He definately is not drinking but he has not been following the diet recommended by his doctor (no caffeine, no sugar, no white flour, processed foods ... egads it goes on and on).

Much of our american diet is very acidic and yeast thrive in that environment while we need to increase our alkalinity to kill them off. A heathy person can keep their ph fairly normal but some people get way off kilter with alcohol helping tip the scales and it creates huge problems. A google search is advised is you suspect this might be the culprit.

I would suggest your A visit a doctor ... we a holistic MD who is very up on this and other issues inlcuding alcoholism.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I keep so much to my self and have for years.

Ahhhh, shame, secrecy, and denial...the bread and butter of alcoholic family life. The elephant in the living room that no one mentions!

So glad you are here bobthebuilder. Here on SR we are shameless! In a good way. Collectively we have seen it all so please know you are not alone and you have nothing to hide.

((((((((hugs))))))))
Peace-
B