The Usual Yearly Drama

Old 11-20-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Usual Yearly Drama

It's always a new drama from the XAH every holiday...

Now its that he wants me to give him custody of the kids for half the year. I told him I wasn't going to discuss it.

WTF?
Old 11-20-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas! It's like Santa Claus, but in reverse.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleSquirrel View Post
It's always a new drama from the XAH every holiday...

Now its that he wants me to give him custody of the kids for half the year. I told him I wasn't going to discuss it.

WTF?
Did he say why he wanted this?
Old 11-20-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

When Rudolph lands on my roof with Santa, then and only then would I consider his proposal...translated, 'taint gonna happen!

Ho, Ho, Ho!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Did he say why he wanted this?
I can answer this one, so he does not have to pay any child support and to just be a PITA.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I thought that packs of wolves, err I meant lawyers, were supposed to deal with this kind of BS??
Old 11-20-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hadenoughnow View Post
I can answer this one, so he does not have to pay any child support and to just be a PITA.
Very obvious reason, indeed. But...one never knows...maybe he misses his kids and wants to be a more active figure in their lives.

Yeah yeah yeah... highly unlikely, huh?!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Very obvious reason, indeed. But...one never knows...maybe he misses his kids and wants to be a more active figure in their lives.

Yeah yeah yeah... highly unlikely, huh?!
He does want to be a part of their lives - there is no dispute there. But yes, child support is part of it. Just for "informative" purposes last week he gave me a printout of how much he pays for their health and dental insurance - so I could be sure of how much it hurts his wallet. Never mind that he agreed to all of this in the divorce WITH AN ATTORNEY giving him advice.

He does already see them significantly more than outlined in the custody agreement. He gets them overnights 3 or 4 nights a week when I work, plus I am more than happy to let him take them extra days if he asks.

But he just can't get it together. Everything he owns of value is in hock. He is lucky if he has both electricity and gas (had to borrow from an enabling family friend just to take care of that). He has trouble maintaining his sobriety, yet still thinks playing musical gigs in bars is the ideal way of making extra cash. He still has a DUI arrest he hasn't paid on - around $2,000.

No matter how many times his HP raps him on the head, he just doesn't get it. I feel bad for him, but not bad enough to gut my own life to make his easier. The kids are doing well in school - both of them (8 and 11) got all A's and B's on their report cards and both of them read so well they are almost off the test's grid. I mean like 3 grade levels above for both. Only one incident slip this year (for an ADD kid, that is fabulous). They like their classes, classmates, etc. Yes - their life could be a bit more exciting. I tend to be a bit of a homebody and I was raised in a rural area so stuff like band, sports, etc. weren't readily available to me. But I do the best I can. When I get my tax refund, I am going to try to get them into some afterschool sports activities that are starting up at a fitness center about 3 blocks away. Of course, I have to buy a car first since mine went to the big junkyard in the sky...

It is just one thing after another in this area and always around the holidays. I can tell he is struggling but there is nothing I can really do for him. Sigh.....
Old 11-21-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Happy Holidays!!!

We seem to be on a six-month cycle here -- things plod along, and then every six months, AXH flies off the handle and comes up with something new to be pissed off about. I think partly, it's that he still hasn't accepted the divorce (despite the constant flow of skinny blond girlfriends in his life), and that he wants to continue some kind of relationship with me (much as he swears to the contrary). And if a fight is the only relationship he can have, then he picks a fight.

It sounds like a really good idea to not give him full custody. Electricity and heat are things kids seem to appreciate.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"a printout of how much he pays for their health and dental insurance"

O the agony!

Imagine having to pay for your children's basic needs. Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth ensue!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I certainly hope you aren't letting him engage you in this...

reminding him of his financial and general instability won't help...tell him if he's serious to call his lawyer...

the lawyer will set him straight.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think what is annoying him most lately is his inability to get me excited over his dramas. Say what ya want, do what ya want - I try to wait at least a day before I decide how I feel about something. So no - I'm not really engaging.

I DID tell him to get ahead and get an attorney; he can waste his money if he wants to. There are ZERO reasons for a change in custody arrangements and being an annoyed egomaniac with an inferiority complex doesn't count.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleSquirrel View Post
I think what is annoying him most lately is his inability to get me excited over his dramas. Say what ya want, do what ya want - I try to wait at least a day before I decide how I feel about something. So no - I'm not really engaging.

I DID tell him to get ahead and get an attorney; he can waste his money if he wants to. There are ZERO reasons for a change in custody arrangements and being an annoyed egomaniac with an inferiority complex doesn't count.
LOL! I think that is the best you can do in this situation. When I finally detached from the girls' Dad and quit responding to every little complaint that came my way, he quit complaining all the time.