HP Talk

Old 11-15-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HP Talk

As a person who grew up in a church, I should know this already.
But my codie I-Can-Fix-It-Yes-I-Can persona is so overgrown that I forget.
And my Higher Power has a sense of humor and reminds me that next time, why don't you come to me first instead of only after you've exhausted all other avenues???

Throughout this ordeal of being in an alcoholic marriage to getting out of it and getting my footing again, I've found that when the time has been right, things fall into place. And if the time isn't right, I can beat my forehead bloody but that brick wall just ain't gonna budge.

So one could theoretically think that I've learned that when that brick wall isn't budging, the time isn't yet right.

But that's what I'm relearning again. Go to your HP first and don't be afraid of waiting for things to fall into place. If you've done all you can, and things don't move ahead -- don't force them. Just wait.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Sooo True!
Old 11-16-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dollydo View Post
Sooo True!
....but it is also so hard to live that way.

Everything around us in modern society tells us that if we want something, the only solution is to push-push-push. As a species, we are capable of changing so much around us - but I don't think as a whole it has made us any happier. Physically healthier, longer lived but not serene, content or at peace with the universe and our place in it.

It is a hard philosophy to live, especially if you have spent a lot of time with dysfunctional/Type A people who don't get it and judge you as shiftless, lazy and passive. There is a difference between passivity and acceptance but they just don't get it.

Sorry - rambling a bit but this thread brought out a lot of these thoughts that have been swirling in my head....
Old 11-16-2011, 06:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are all turning into some kind of Buddhists.

Give up the illusion of control (steps 1-3) and let the universe unfold as it will. It's going to anyway you know.

Besides you are not really giving up anything except an illusion anyway. You never had control so you're not losing anything.

Breathe, relax, smile.

Your friend,
Old 11-16-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the reminder, Lillamy. But, OMG, it's so hard. I think I'm getting better at it. (Honestly, I think reading about and exploring Buddhism is helping. ) But, OWWWW.

I've recently realized that I tend to vacillate between 2 extremes. Waiting for some one else to take care of it for me and stomping forward, head stubbornly lowered like the proverbial Taurus I am: "If I don't do this NOW, it'll NEVER happen."

Being able to set it in HP's hands is the middle ground I think I swing right past a lot. Trust is such a precious commodity.

As I type this, I'm taking breaks to look out my window to watch ravens play in the wind (which is freezing and gusting to 38 mph). Being (sadly) unable to fly, I don't understand the dynamics involved, so I find it amazing that they're able to trust the wind to go where they believe it will, to hold them aloft, to allow them to dive and twist and soar. To not only trust, but to trust instinctively, unreservedly and (anthropomorphizing here) joyfully.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"God helps those who help themselves" is not in the bible. I've finally realized He doesn't need my help but I sure need His!
Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
Give up the illusion of control (steps 1-3) and let the universe unfold as it will. It's going to anyway you know.

Besides you are not really giving up anything except an illusion anyway. You never had control so you're not losing anything.
Wise words, and so true! Thanks for posting this Mike.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

AMEN!! i so agree...aaah but i have so much patience.....(lol, i will just read for a bit until it becomes clearer)
Old 11-16-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

What helps me A LOT

is the very short version of The Serenity Prayer:

I CAN'T,

HE/SHE CAN,

SO LET EM.

Works for me, lol

And oh saves me so so much stress!

Love and hugs,
Old 11-16-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'd make the worst Buddhist in the history of mankind!
I don't believe in giving up my desires at all! And I'd look like fresh hell with a shaved head!

I was reminded of the story where God says to this guy, "To me, a thousand years is but a second."
And the guy responds, "Really? So then maybe a million dollars is like a penny, too? If that's the case, can you give me a million dollars?"
And God replies, "Sure. Just a second."
Old 11-16-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
I'd make the worst Buddhist in the history of mankind!
I don't believe in giving up my desires at all! And I'd look like fresh hell with a shaved head!

I was reminded of the story where God says to this guy, "To me, a thousand years is but a second."
And the guy responds, "Really? So then maybe a million dollars is like a penny, too? If that's the case, can you give me a million dollars?"
And God replies, "Sure. Just a second."
that story made me laugh, cute! I'm like you, I'm trying to incorporate more Buddhist philosophy into my life, but I think to my core I'm all passion and emotion.

Some people see this as a flaw - but I think this is what keeps me human.

Panther