Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

November 12 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 11-12-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

November 12 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Familiar phrases often fall on deaf ears; even when we listen thoughtfully, we may not analyze their deeper meaning because we’re so used to hearing them.

One evening, a new member, explaining her problem, several times, used the phrase, “It just makes me sick.” The idea she meant to convey was “unbearable” or “frustrating.” But another member, who took it literally, said:

“I was impressed with Jane’s saying that certain occurrences make her sick. I’ve noticed that when I react too emotionally to a situation, even an unjustified verbal attack, it really can make me sick, with actual physical symptoms. Al-Anon has taught me to keep my own well-being in mind; I try not to let myself feel involved when the storm clouds of tension and temper appear. This is healthy thinking – the Al-Anon way.”

TODAY’S REMINDER

I will close my mind to what I hear and see when it tempts me to quarrel or resent. I will receive anger with gentleness to guard my peace of mind.

“It takes time to transform good resolutions into good habits, but it’s worth the effort.”