OT - finding peace in nature

Old 11-13-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Inspired by LaTeeDa...

So I took a trip to Baltimore this weekend, which included a trip the Susquehanna State Park. I was able to get these two amazing shots of the great white oak tree there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bodios 048_3_1.jpg (78.3 KB, 53 views)
Old 11-13-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

And this beauty!! Thanks for the inspiration LTD!!!
Attached Images
Bodios 057_3_1.jpg (64.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 11-14-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Your pictures are stunning! I love the topic, too, because I truly relate to that.

I work in a situation in which for a week at a time, I really don't get outside, nor do I have much access to even a window, for weeks at at time. When I get home I CRAVE nature. I have to go out. I'm yanking my dog to go out whether she wants to or not!

Then I found this term coined by Richard Louv: Nature Deficit Disorder. While his work deals mostly with how children have this condition because of how little time they spend in natural surroundings these days because of technology and parental irrational fears, that's exactly how I feel! I'm deficient in my supply of nature when I'm working.

I was sitting outside just now with my dog. It's an unseasonably nice winter evening--about 65 degrees. It was so beautiful there, in the dark with the silhouettes of the trees against the dimmed-out sky, I almost wanted to cry.

Thanks for the reminder, LaTeeDa, that sometimes all you need for a little inner peace is to simply step outside.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Lightbulb

i have been slowly finding my passion...and i found one! archery lessons with my son...
Attached Images
IMG00101-20111105-1201.jpg (91.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 11-14-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Formaggie...when I was young....40 years ago, I belonged to an archery club, my husband and I tramped through the woods moving from target to target, it was fun, they also had a junior league for children.

Have fun!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Oh, how funny! DS07 was just begging me to buy him a bow and an archery set (targets, etc) last night. I actually really want to buy one for him and one for me. Funding and proximity to neighbors posing concerns. Hadn't thought about clubs; I'll have to look into whether there are any here.

Of course he was also begging for snow shoes and skis... Oh! wait! There's a sport that includes some combination of those, isn't there? *dreams of DS's Olympic future start* ... perhaps best to see if he even likes it as much as he thinks he will. LOL
Old 11-16-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I love looking through the photos...and reading the stories of how folks got into their hobbies...my photographs suck. But someday, when I stop drinking so much coffee, I think I'll see far less shaky and blurry photographs! ; )

Thanks all for sharing!
Old 11-16-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Fourmaggie,

Alright, I must admit, that looks like a lot of fun.
I wanna shoot some guns.
Yep. Any kind of target shooting.
I was fairly good at it when I was active duty, and I LOVED it!

Beth
Old 11-18-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

When going through a crisis and stomping through the woods with my dog, reliving my woes over and over again in my head, I began to think there would never be any relief. It was fall, and even through my halo of grief, I noticed it was really beautiful in the woods with all the different colours of leaves. The next time I brought along my little Canon and started to take pictures of trees in the distance, and piles of leaves, leaves in the creek, the white birch against blue skies, and my incredibly happy puppy. I forgot about my woes and started to feel relief and happiness, even if it only lasted for as long as the walk. So me, my dog and my Canon went for a walk the next day, and the next, and the next....

I hadn't found Alanon yet, but I think that little Canon and those woods saved me.

p.s. only a handful of the hundreds of shots are really good, but they all are so valuable to me. They mark the beginning of my recovery.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

wnw,

Great story!

Oh, and only a handful of shots out of hundreds are EVER any good for me, too. That just seems to be how photography works.

L
Attached Images
ashlandcreekbridge.jpg (62.7 KB, 59 views)
Old 11-18-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say how thrilled I am to see this thread still alive even though I haven't been around for the last week or so. Thanks everyone for sharing your stories, pictures, and passions.

GB- I love the oak tree shots. On this coast, we have very tall trees, but not many of the great massive gangly type. Those are amazing.

L
Old 11-26-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thanksgiving was wonderful. But all that cooking and eating can give a person cabin fever. So, I had to go outside yesterday. And I managed to bag a new avatar.
Attached Images
lenticularsunset.jpg (29.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 11-26-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Yes, but cleverly disguised as a cloud, lol.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

It is the most dominating presence for about 50 or 60 miles in either direction from it. Many people also believe it has "powers." In any case, it's one of my favorite subjects to photograph, although it's not an easy subject.

L