Much improved update!

Old 11-05-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Much improved update!

Haven't dropped in for a few weeks, figured I should do it as I have REALLY good news! I did end up going on TANF for a few weeks, but it has actually helped immensely. I have daycare now, and after less than 2 weeks in the program I have a full time job, I start on the 14th. It pays enough that with just minimal social support(child care assistance mostly, but perhaps some food benefits) I can make it without child support. I am so relieved now you can't even imagine.

Although child support is in the works, but I have this sneaking feeling STBX will, once he has to pay child support, go on just veteran's disability(which child support can't touch)

He ended up moving, leaving the house to go to foreclosure. Thankfully while I am on the title of the house, I am NOT on the loan so it shouldn't affect my credit score.

He's playing up the fact now that the trailer he is in has 3 bedrooms(I only have a 2 bedroom apartment) and he has cable and internet(which I will once I catch up on a few things, probably after Christmas) so he's making himself out to be the "fun parent".

With the insistence of the local rape and abuse crisis center(which I spent an hour talking to the counselor mostly crying, but wow did it feel good) I did apply for legal assistance I just haven't been able to do the phone interview with them yet. Going to call them on Monday afternoon to do that.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi pixilation!

This sounds like great news. You must feel like a ton of weight is lifting!

Curious though - where did you get the information about child support and veteran's disability? It is my understanding that child support is specifically excluded from the protections as well as garnashable.

Here is a link from HHS: IM-9803 Obtaining financial support for children from benefits paid by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Can you check with your legal source again before you waive something you should be getting for your kids?
Old 11-05-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, it was someone from child support enforcement that told me that Veteran's disability payments were excluded from enforcement. But I won't waive anything at this point. It seriously peeves me that he is so selfish that he can't be bothered to even go buy the kids new socks and underwear(yes, I asked him to do that, and he laughed at me telling me "that's your job")

Oh, and for the dog lovers out there, he is down to just the old mutt, and the older bulldog. The pug is now with my son's girlfriend(and quickly on the way to housetraining!) and the young bulldog puppy is with a new family out of state. He did at least listen to his mother there and downsize the animals.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

You sound strong, and, moving forward with your life, this is good.

I too, believed that Veterans Disability were not excluded, I wouldn't just give up.

Nice to hear from you, keep us posted.

My best...Dolly
Old 11-05-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I do believe you have been given 'bad' info on child support from VA Disability Benefits.

Just this one paragraph alone says it all:

Example #2: The Department of Veterans Affairs has issued regulations pursuant to 38 U.S.C. 5307 that provide for an apportionment of VA benefits between the veteran and his/her dependents under certain circumstances. VA regulations at 38 CFR Section 3.450(a)(1)(ii) provide that, if the veteran is not residing with his or her spouse, or if the veteran’s children are not residing with the veteran and the veteran is not reasonably discharging his or her responsibility for the spouse’s or children’s support, all or any part of the veteran's pension, compensation, or emergency officers' retirement pay may be apportioned.
I have a few friends getting VA disability and they have had a portion of their monthly check diverted to child support until their children were out of school, and in several cases that was college.

Please print the WHOLE article that Aegian referenced and take it to your attorney:

IM-9803 Obtaining financial support for children from benefits paid by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

I am grateful that you 'checked in' as I was really wondering how you were doing.

Continuing to seen good thoughts and prayers.

Love and hugs,
Old 11-05-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Soooo good to hear from you Pixi! How are you feeling now with all that has been going on? Do you get a chance to relax and enjoy life? Are you excited about your job?

Just wishing you the best!
Old 11-06-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I do get a chance to sit back and relax thankfully(not much, but some) but I am still having trouble sleeping. I think it may be time to give in and ask the doctor for something. Even Sleepytime Extra herbal tea isn't helping much. I can get to sleep but I don't stay asleep. The other issue is my bed. The $20 garage sale mattress just isn't cutting it anymore(not that it ever really did) The first thing on my list of things to buy once I'm making money is new beds for myself and 15yo.

And thank you so much for the VA disability information! I think I need to school the local child support enforcement office.

Retrieved the last of my belongings from the house today(he's moved everything he wanted out) filled both my sister's vehicle and my own. Mostly kid's stuff but I did find my missing bin of books.

He did leave his laptop behind for me. It needs work(a new keyboard) but hey, I'll have a computer again! Won't have to go to the library to use the internet all the time. Well, once I'm comfortable enough to have internet again.