Confronting the Alcoholic

Old 11-10-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

take care of you

I don't think you can change your Mom's situation, but you might be able to change yours. It truly sucks to be a child stuck in an alcoholic home, I know. Can you physically remove yourself? If not, try to keep repeating

I didn't cause this
I can't control this
I can't cure this

Or

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

I know this can sound like total BS when the responsible adult in the room is passed out, screaming, crying, etc. Try and find a quiet place in your mind, or better yet, in someone else's home. None of this is your fault. I'm an ACOA, nasty, violent AF. I got out, and made a good life for myself.

Good luck, Peace
Old 11-10-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sixersfan123 View Post
Last night, I told my dad about my mom, and he said that he knew. He said he would talk to her, and later last night I could hear them fighting on the phone.

However, tonight my mom asked me to watch my sisters so she could go to a meeting. There's no signs that she's been drinking, and so I really think that she might be telling the truth. But, of course, I'll know by the states she comes home in.
I'll keep you posted, but I feel like there might be a light at the end of the tunnel.
Man I just want to hug you. I feel so terrible for what you're going through, and I know that telling your dad couldn't have been easy. You are doing amazingly well, and seem to be a really responsible great kid. You should be proud of yourself.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Maybe she went to a meeting and maybe she didnt try not to get all caught up in that cause it could let you down hard.I just want to tell you that you are doing a great job handling all this.
Try to do something for yourself today and take a small vacation from being the adult in your maternal relationship. You need and deserve it.
Good luck to you and your mom
Old 11-11-2011, 04:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi hun, it breaks my heart reading of what you're going through.
I suggest you talk some more to your dad. He should know he is the one responsible for you and your sisters. I know you feel protective of your mum, but you're too young to be a responsible adult in the family.
So maybe you and your sisters could spend some time at your dad's, something like that could maybe even help your mum put things into perspective and act on it. If not than at least you're not there to witness it.
I think this is something that should be brought to your dad's attention.
I have you in my thoughts
HUGS
Old 11-11-2011, 04:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm sending you a big hug, too. Alcoholism is such a terrible, terrible disease.

There are already a lot of great things that people have said/suggested to you, I'll just add that my teenage children go to Alateen and it has made a HUGE difference for them. And some of the kids who come to the meetings end up bringing their little brothers/sisters to the meetings, too, because they can't leave them at home with a drunk parent.

I'm so sorry, sixers. And at the same time I find myself feeling so grateful that there are amazing teens like you in the world. I hope the so-called adults will step up and deal with this situation since it's not supposed to be your job at this age, but even if they don't you have us, Alateen and your guidance counselor. Keep coming back!

Sending you hugs,
posie
Old 11-11-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I don't have anything to add, really, but I just wanted to let you know that we're in your corner. You're a good big sister. I hope things improve. Please keep us posted.